Author Topic: B2: FindInFiles "file types" patterns  (Read 2636 times)

jporkkahtc

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 210
  • Text
B2: FindInFiles "file types" patterns
« on: October 07, 2015, 10:20:41 PM »
V19 added this enhanced patterns drop down.
In V19 it had  some weird behavior, and continues to have it in V20.

I try find in files, and type "*.java" in this box, and click Find.
Now, I open the dialog again and the FileTypes box contains
"Java Files  (*.java)les (*.java)"

It doesn't always do this, but I see it happen pretty frequently.
If I select "Java (*.java)" from the drop down, then it doesn't have this problem, and then the problem doesn't repro when I type "*.java" anymore.

WRT the feature: Its not nearly as useful as it could be.
1: It mixes pattern history and known filters with no visible separation between the two lists.

2: The filters are separate from (but, by default, are very similar to) Options->FileOptions->FileOfTypeFilters, and also separate from the FileExtensions setting for each language.
Some integration between these 3 would be nice.

3: It allows duplicate entries in the FilterEditor list ... I have three identical entries for "Java Files".

4: It Tools->Options dialog is open, then Clicking the "..." on FileTypes activates the Options dialog instead of opening the Filter Editor.

5: The FilterEditor should probably appear in Tools->Options somewhere.

6: The FilterEditor doesn't remember its user-set size -- it always starts the same size.

7: The FilterEditor also acts like a history editor - user typed patterns in the FileTypes dropdown show up as unnamed entries in the filtereditor.
But there is apparently

8: There should be a way to multi-select: For instance, I want to search all java and C++ files. I ought to be able to select these two filters.

9: I think it would be better to separate history from the preset patterns.
Change the "..." to a right-arrow. Make each pattern a menu item (similar to the reg-ex menu in the "Search for" menu), and also provide a "Filter Editor" menu item.

Sandra

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 36
Re: B2: FindInFiles "file types" patterns
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 01:56:20 PM »
These are good suggestions and bug reports.  I'll see what we can do.

Sandra

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 36
Re: B2: FindInFiles "file types" patterns
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 02:26:58 PM »
Here's where I am so far.

First bug:  fixed.

1.  This is intentional.  If you type in a known type (*.java), it should adjust the list so that the known type item "Java Files (*.java)" is at the top.  So that is both a known type and a history item.
2.  I'm going to add a feature request to add/remove extensions from both filter lists when an extension is added or removed from a language via the File Extension settings.  We could also go the other way, but I think we should probably prompt before doing so.  I'll also sync the filters such that when one is changed in one filter type, the change is propagated to the other. 
3.  Fixed.
4.  Fixed.
5.  I'm thinking we could make the current Files of Type Filters page tabbed, such that you could edit both lists.  Or maybe the Find Filter would make more sense near the Editing > Search options.  Still thinking on this.
6.  Fixed.
7.  This item got cut off, so I'm not sure where you were going here.
8.  Noodling on this.  I like the idea, but I'm not sure about the best way to do it, gui-wise.
9.  Like I said, the integration was intentional.  Your arrow idea would be a solution to multi-selecting, but I'm not sure that's the direction we want to go.

Thank you so much for finding and reporting the bugs.  We also appreciate the feedback for the usability.