Author Topic: Install: Cannot find the path specified, C:\SlicEdit Pro 20.0.0 Beta2\vslick.sta  (Read 3159 times)

JimmieC

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 17
I have installed SE 2015 Beta 2 on my desktop without any issue. However, on my laptop, I keep getting this warning\error message "Cannot find the path specified, C:\SlicEdit Pro 20.0.0 Beta2\vslick.sta."

While that message is up, I went to that path & file and found it was there.

The install goes ahead and finishes after acknowledging the prompt. SE 2015 Beta 2 seems to run OK.

I uninstalled and reinstalled and the problem was repeatable.

See attached image.

Both of my PC's are Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit. The laptop with the issue is:
Tecra R950
i5-3320M @ 2.59 GHz
8GB RAM
Hard drive 101 GB free of 451 GB

Jim

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
Sounds like some sort of weird hard drive issue. If you have a second hard drive attached or can attach an external hard drive, try installing on that. I bet you won't see the error.

SlickEdit Support

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 29
While it normally isn't required, have you tried rebooting this machine?

JimmieC

• Hero Points: 17
I hadn't tried a reboot but did so after your suggestion. I tried:
Reboot - Uninstall - Install
Uninstall - Reboot - Install
Still got the same warning\error.

I don't have access to an external drive today. I will bring one in tomorrow.

Both the PC's are on the corporate domain with permissions doled out by IT. They are both supposed to be provisioned the same although no one can guarantee it. It is possibly a drive permission issue, I guess. Not likely, but possible.

In the mean time, is this file imperative for correct installation? SE seems to work OK...?

Is there a way to run a .msi file with elevated permissions?

On a .exe, I can right-click and select "Run as Adminstrator." This right-click option is not there for .msi files.

Jim

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
As a safety precaution, the install program sets the date of "vslick.sta" to the date of installation. That way,  there's no way you have a local state file with a newer date that is the same version. You could just touch the "vslick.sta" file, and that will do the same thing.

SlickEdit Support

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 29
Hi Jim,

To rule out permissions, go ahead and uninstall all copied and then install to (No spaces in a path that we know for certain you have write access to):

c:\temp\SlickEdit2015\ 

Alternatively you can run a command prompt As Administrator and navigate to the msi and run it from there. I'd try the above first though.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 07:46:27 PM by SlickEdit Support »