Author Topic: Unable to run the application under Mac OS X - El Capitan - on a Mac Pro Server  (Read 15672 times)

claylambert

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Hello!

I have a 6 core Mac Pro server running the latest version of OS X El Capitan. I am having issues getting the new 2015 Beta running.

When I try to run the application it crashes. When I execute it from the Applications menu it appears that nothing happens.

I have tried clearing my user settings directory, and started at the command line with the -sc option to specify a new config location. No dice.

Here is what is reported at the command line:

--(claylambert@Tower-Of-Power)-(5/ttys000)-(1453/12-Oct-15)--
--($:/Applications/SlickEditPro2015.app/Contents/MacOS)--
-->> ./vs
Segmentation fault: 11

It appears there is some sort of base library conflict or dependency that is not being fulfilled?

Please advise.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 526
Glad you tried a new config. Are able to run v19 on this machine?

Ah...support has told me you couldn't run v19 and that SlickEdit wouldn't run on Yosemite either.

We will contact you through support.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 04:01:51 PM by SlickEdit Support »

Dennis

• Hero Points: 515
When you get the crash, could you get an error report (click on Report...) when the dialog pops up indicating that SlickEdit has terminated unexpectedly.  That would also help us verify we are on the right track.

jken3

• Junior Community Member
So, has anyone been able to run v20 on El Capitan? It just hangs for me.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
So far, we only know of two customers who couldn't run SlickEdit on El Capitan. Both problems were not related to El Capitan. These two problems were due to various game controllers that pretended to be keyboards. Unplugging these game controllers allows SlickEdit to run.

Do you have some sort of odd keyboard device attached to your Mac? Does SlickEdit crash or hang at start up? Have you ever been able to run SlickEdit on this particular machine?

All our macs here at SlickEdit run El Capitan.

Dennis

• Hero Points: 515
If you are having problems, try starting it with a default configuration directory (vs +new -sc /tmp/newconfig/ ), see if the basics work.

If it is hanging, you can always go to the Activity Monitor, select SlickEdit, and hit Sample Process... to help us narrow down what is happening on your machine.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
Also make sure there are no hidden instances of SlickEdit running before you start SlickEdit.

jken3

I'm running on a (recent) Mac laptop, no funny keyboards.
SlickEdit 2015 v20 (and any other version) hangs (spinning beach ball) on El Capitan, it doesn't crash.
SlickEdit 2013 ran fine on Mavericks for a couple of years.
I tried the vs +new -sc /tmp/newconfig/ command and SlickEdit did run okay, but just firing up SlickEdit by double clicking still hangs.
I have attached Process Sample from Activity Monitor.

SlickEdit Support

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 29
Go to /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/SlickEdit/20.0.0/
and delete:

vslick.stu and vrestore.slk

Will SlickEdit run normally now?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
It could be that there is a hidden vs process preventing you from starting another instance. The +new invocation option ignores existing instances. Make sure to kill all vs processes before starting SlickEdit.

jken3

Deleting vrestore.slk did the trick. (Didn't see the file vslick.stu.)
SlickEdit 2015 v20 now runs on my Mac under El Capitan.
Thanks!