Author Topic: B3 MAC Column Insert in wrong location  (Read 7200 times)

rajkej

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 14
B3 MAC Column Insert in wrong location
« on: October 14, 2015, 02:08:49 PM »
I had SE port my settings from Pro2014. I'm used to highlighting a column then typing for column insert but Pro2015 Beta3 is inserting to the right of the column I highlight instead of to the left.

I'm getting the result of typing a # hash mark as you see in the attachment below. I expect the hash to be to the left of the text, not after the first character.

I looked for a setting that might not have been ported correctly but couldn't find it quickly.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
Re: B3 MAC Column Insert in wrong location
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 06:29:12 PM »
This first picture doesn't show a column selection (or maybe my eye sight is just bad). I'm confused.

rajkej

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 06:31:57 PM »
The column selection is there on the first character of each word, i.e. the 'p', 'p', and 's'. There's a slight highlight in the background color. See the cursor at the right of the 's' on the third line, between the s and y as in s'ys? The highlighted column is left of that cursor containing only the pps.

rajkej

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 06:32:54 PM »
And in the second picture you might be able to notice the column selection moved to the right of the hash mark and is on the rry column.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 06:35:42 PM »
Please change colors to the default and post the first picture. I just can't make out anything.

rajkej

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 06:40:47 PM »
Here you go. Three new pictures this time. First is column selection before I do an insert or delete. Second is from first picture state after hitting the '#' key. Third is from the first picture state after hitting the 'del' key.

My interpretation is that the first key pressed after column selection somehow 'moves the cursor to the right' then acts upon the keypress. The second key pressed after column selection works normally to me.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 06:46:37 PM »
No luck reproducing this yet. Go to File>Save As and tell me what shows up for "Encoding". Then just Cancel the dialog

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 06:56:22 PM »
Please post your exported settings too (.zip file). Thanks

rajkej

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 07:03:22 PM »
File SaveAs = 'Text, SBCS/DBC...'

File is python with .py extension. Tried the same insert/delete in a .cpp file extension and it did the same thing. Same SaveAs setting as well.

Exported settings attached.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 07:46:05 PM »
I've beat this up but not luck. I even tried a file with Tab characters. Are you making the column selection with the mouse?

Does it matter what column the text is in (i.e does there need to be spaces/tabs first to reproduce this issue)?

rajkej

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 07:59:12 PM »
All of my files have zero tabs. I convert tabs to spaces on load and save.

My selection is always via keyboard. I almost never use the mouse. Put cursor on the first character (to the left) and hold shift while moving cursor using cursor keys. Move cursor right once, down twice for the example I gave. Then type the new character.

I have the issue when I start the selection at any column whether or not there is text or spaces at the leftmost column.

Only the first character typed happens to cause the 'shift' of the cursor position. Doesn't matter if I highlight 2 rows or 10 rows, I see the same thing.

When I highlight multiple columns, I see what I guess I would expect to see but I normally don't do that. What I see in that case is the columns I highlighted are replaced with the character I typed.

So this only occurs on single column selection.

I checked the keybindings for 'Shift+Right' and 'Shift+Down' and its cua-select and I haven't replaced that file.

Maybe I'll have to completely reinstall fresh (ugh) to test it next.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 08:07:50 PM »
You must use the keyboard exactly how you've described in order to reproduce this one and "def_scursor_style" must be set to 1.

rajkej

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 08:53:07 PM »
Good find then Clark! Sounds like its buried somewhere.

I've been using SE since it was DOS and I've ported most of my changes forward ever since. Not sure what the def_scursor_style=1 does or if I ever set it manually or not.

Is def_scursor_style set by the Tools/Options menu's or should I try setting it to zero manually to see if that works better for me?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 09:06:42 PM »
Fixed for next beta. Thanks for finding this!!

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 11:22:16 PM »
It turns out my monitor made it hard to see your original column selection post. On other monitors, it was easy to see. So I'm not blind ;D