Author Topic: Preview window randomly pops up  (Read 807 times)

jorick

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 15
Preview window randomly pops up
« on: October 20, 2015, 09:18:27 pm »
This preview window (attached) randomly pops up behind all other windows.  I already have a preview window open in a tool window tab.  In v19, I would sometimes see a half dozen of them after a while.

I don't have any xxx-tool-window functions attached to any keys, nor have I used any menu items to create a new tool window.

Win 7 Pro, v19 and v20 Beta 3.

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 292
Re: Preview window randomly pops up
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 05:44:16 pm »
I'm going to give you the quickest way to help us debug this, not really the optimal way, but quick.

1) Open <slickedit>/macros/tagwin.e
2) Go to line 1949
3) Add the following line:
Code: [Select]
_StackDump();4) Macro > Load Module...

The next time a preview window is created, you will get debug output showing the call chain.  Obviously, we are only interested in the call chains from the abnormal cases you described.  You can cut the text from the debug window by clicking in it and hitting Ctrl+X.  Post that here.

Remember to remove the debug code after you are done.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 05:46:45 pm by Dennis »

jorick

• Hero Points: 15
Re: Preview window randomly pops up
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 04:08:41 pm »
I installed RC3 and that replaced the tagwin.e file I modified so when it popped up just now, I didn't get the stack trace.

But I did see why it popped up.  I was previewing something in the docked preview window which is a tabbed window along with six other tabs, one of which is the search results.  I did a find in files and the preview tab switched to the search results tab, but then the preview window opened as a child window so that (I guess) it could still show me what I was previewing.  It makes sense since it pops up very infrequently and I use the preview window very infrequently also.

I guess this is a feature that I didn't know about.  I'm not concerned about it any more since I now know when and why it pops up.