Author Topic: pointer to class/structure tagging  (Read 7939 times)

twells55555

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
pointer to class/structure tagging
« on: February 20, 2007, 06:51:29 PM »
Is slick edit supposed to provide the possible completion options when using the " -> " class/structure pointer syntax, and in particuliar, when using the QT libraries?  If so, how do you turn that on? 

tim

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 292
Re: pointer to class/structure tagging
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 09:47:42 PM »
Yes - it is.
Have a look here http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=739.msg3225#msg3225 (or try a 'Search->QT).
I hope it helps to get a proper setup.

Good luck,

HS2

twells55555

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 12:34:44 PM »
Thanks HS2, I'll take a look at that post. 

tim

twells55555

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 03:51:44 PM »
Still no luck....I added all the qt headers to my cpp tag file, can see the headers listed in the class view window, but still do not get anything autolisted except the few files in my workspace....sure would be nice to see the possible choices when setting up connections for Qt...also, I'm not able to see the members listed in the classview window either, just the names of the QT header files.  I must have something set up wrong somewhere....DIATH....

tim   

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 04:50:59 PM »
QT has A LOT of uggly preprocessing which breaks tagging.  V11 has a lot of global defines for QT 3 and 4 which help a lot.  If you have an older version of SlickEdit, a lot will be broken and QT 4 will really not work well.  You can add global defines yourself (Tools>Options>Tagging>C Preprocessing).  The hard part is figuring out which defines are breaking the tagging.  You'll have to trace the QT code, to track this down.

You also need an extension specific tag file for the QT library which it sounds like you built.

twells55555

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 11:30:40 PM »
Clark,

Thanks for your reply.  I'm using SE 11.02 with all the latest hotfixes installed.  All of the QT defines are there in the preprocessing section and I built a tag file and can see all the QT headers in the tag window when I select it.  Seems like everything is in place, but if the QT tagging is supposed to work and does work for others, I must be doing something wrong.  I just can't find it.  I've been using SE since around Rev 4 in both Windoze and Linux environments, so I am familiar with it....just can't figure this one out....yet.

tim

hs2

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 10:53:49 AM »
Hmm - you could check your <Slick dir>/config/usercpp.h for poss. interferences.
I had similar problems caused by some old stuff I needed  for a kernel driver project.
Or just try to (temp.) remove/rename 'usercpp.h' and retag everything related.

HS2

twells55555

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 02:15:30 PM »
HS2,

I can't even find a usercpp.h file anywhere on my harddrive.  Can that file be recreated automatically or does it requre a re-install?

tim

hs2

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 05:10:15 PM »
I think it's created on demand, i.e. when you manually configure (add) C-preprocessing stuff (see FilExtSetup.png).
It's also described in Slick help (see usercpp.png).
The bad thing is that your QT tagging problem can't be related to some 'misleading' #defines and the default config should support it as Clark mentioned.
Sorry, maybe another can give better hints :(

HS2

twells55555

• Community Member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 11:32:11 PM »
HS,

You are correct.....it looks like the usercpp.h file is created when you add your first preprocessor define and since I hadn't added any, no file.  No problem there.  Once I figured that out I took your advice and just deleted and rebuilt all my tagfiles from scratch and everthing is working fine now....struct and class members all displayed as they should be etc...Not sure what got messed up but its ok now. So thanks to you and Clark for your help, I appreciate it.

Thanks again,

tim