Author Topic: Multiple instances?  (Read 1628 times)

TurkeyMan

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Multiple instances?
« on: November 27, 2015, 12:03:52 pm »
I have SlickEdit running; if I try and run it again, it seems to just show the instance that's already running.
I'd prefer it opened a new one. I often work on 2 projects at the same time. (linux)

Tim Kemp

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 90
Re: Multiple instances?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 01:16:20 pm »
Start it with "vs +new"

TurkeyMan

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 01:41:25 pm »
Oh okay. Thanks.

I wonder if '+new' should be default, since it's absense interferes with the window manager; ie, middle click on an active task icon spawns a new instance of the app, but it doesn't work in this case because the missing flag.

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 179
  • Text
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 12:28:33 am »
Generally, no ... at least for me, I don't want each file opened in a separate Slickedit process / main window.

There are times that it would be nice to have SlickEdit behave more like Notepad - each instance is totally independant.
You can do this from the command line, though the arguments you need to specify aren't obvious.
I think that if you use "+new" alone, then that new instance will pick up the current set of options (like formatting, key bindings, etc), but won't be able to save any changes you make to the options.

The most siginificant problem here is editor state and configuration.
"notepad" has one or two bits worth of state that it saves between runs.

Slick of course has thousands - so if you have multiple independant instances their configurations will be (or get to be) different over time.

I think Eclipse is kind of like this .... all/most editor configuration options are per-workspace, so anytime you start a new workspace you have to set all the options you like. A real pain unless you can tolerate the defaults. Eclipse has some really great features, but I hate using it - one of the reasons is that it is so hard to manage in complex environments.

Tim Kemp

• Hero Points: 90
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 01:27:09 am »
If you want to have a different configuration use the "-sc config_path" option where config_path is the directory for the configuration to use. For other command line options, see the "Invocation Options" help page.

It's pretty easy to export and import options from one configuration to another in Tools->Options->Export/Import Options.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 133
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 01:16:45 pm »
Try setting an environment variable SLICKEDIT to +new.  That will be the same as running +new all the time.

Oh okay. Thanks.

I wonder if '+new' should be default, since it's absense interferes with the window manager; ie, middle click on an active task icon spawns a new instance of the app, but it doesn't work in this case because the missing flag.

TurkeyMan

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 01:27:09 pm »
Try setting an environment variable SLICKEDIT to +new.  That will be the same as running +new all the time.

Thanks!

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 409
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 10:11:01 am »
The environment variable you need to set is "VSLICK" and not "SLICKEDIT". Also, you can use "vs -new" to turn off the "+new".