Author Topic: Search and directory traversal and patterns  (Read 2272 times)

jporkkahtc

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 210
  • Text
Search and directory traversal and patterns
« on: December 14, 2015, 05:23:08 PM »
Speaking of hidden folders...

I'd really like FindInFiles to have better options for file selection.

For example, "exclude binary files".
I usually have to have a really long "Exclude" file pattern to stop slick from searching in binary files.
Then I have to mix in some directory exclusions and occasionally add or remove a few.
Managing this all as a single really long string is painful.
It would be great if it had a list of checkboxes to allow selecting one or more patterns to include in the exclude pattern.
This list of patterns would need to be short and customizable - something like the "Filter Editor" - but with a checkbox on each line in the list.

A few extra settings would make it even nicer, such as:
Exclude binary files (based on content)
Select files based on size (include/exclude files from X to Y bytes long)
Select files based on date/time.
Select files based on attributes (see Attrib on Windows, and the mode bits on linux - this not only allows selection of hidden files, but readonly vs. readwrite).

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 210
  • Text
Re: Search and directory traversal and patterns
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 05:38:38 PM »
Having the option to use a file like .gitignore and .gitattributes would be really cool.

mjdl

• Hero Points: 18
  • SE Pro 2023 v28.0.2.0 64-bit Qt5 Win 11 23H2
Re: Search and directory traversal and patterns
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 05:52:28 PM »
Having the option to use a file like .gitignore and .gitattributes would be really cool.
+1 on that idea. In fact, rather than complicating the relevant search options dialog UI even further with regex patterns etc., just include a file selector or listbox to add the path(s) of any arbitrary file(s) containing .gitignore patterns--much easier to edit and copy around in workspaces/projects too!