Author Topic: File extensions and Clearcase  (Read 1419 times)

pmsteinm

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
File extensions and Clearcase
« on: January 07, 2016, 09:35:10 pm »
Is there a way to get Slickedit to detect the correct file extension when opening a specific clearcase file version? For example if I do:

vsdiff file1.v@@/main/1 file1.v@@/main/2

I don't get any verilog syntax hilighting because I assume Slickedit thinks the files extensions are "1" and "2" or there is no extension.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 128
Re: File extensions and Clearcase
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 09:39:04 pm »
There are a couple of ways we could tackle this.  What platform are you using?  Do you need to use vsdiff, or could you run this from inside SlickEdit?

pmsteinm

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 09:45:29 pm »
Linux. I would like it to work both ways. If I open a file using "e" on the command line with a CC version, the tab name is the version number and there is no file mode detection.

pmsteinm

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 09:46:40 pm »
If nothing else, I'd even be ok with an option in Diffzilla to select the file mode manually.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 128
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 09:47:39 pm »
Is it possible to copy the file out?  Copy it to filename.<version>.v?

pmsteinm

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 09:59:52 pm »
Sometimes I do that but usually I just deal with the lack of hilighting. It's a fairly common occurrence to want to be able to look at or compare older file versions. What made me finally complain about this was I noticed Nedit of all things understands Clearcase versions and Does The Right Thing. So I thought it would be nice if Slickedit would do that too or that there was some way to make it happen in the existing release.

Independent of that it would be nice if standalone Diffzilla had an option to select the language mode. (Sometimes you are comparing against a file called "temp" or something without an extension but that could be hilighted).

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 377
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 03:45:03 am »
since these files have no extension, you might be able to use the extensionless file manager to match the file with an ant-like pattern and map it to the language you want. You'll need at least one pattern for each extension.

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 409
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 03:53:55 pm »
We had code in there to handle this, years ago, if you had def_vc_system set to "ClearCase", but I don't think that is being hit now.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 03:56:25 pm by Dennis »