Author Topic: Search Results auto-hide delay timeout setting? (v20.0.0.12 64-bit)  (Read 2247 times)

JimmieC

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 17
I have the Search Results window set for auto-hide. It pops up and then immediately hides.

There is a setting to delay the auto-hide of the Search Results window. I have used it before but I cannot find it now. I searched separately for search, hide, timeout, auto-hide, auto-close. I cannot find it.

I did notice that if I get clicked into it before it hides, that it will stay up until loss of focus (ie: click into editor window). Thanks, I had requested that one. Nice.

Jim

Dennis

• Hero Points: 517
Re: Search Results auto-hide delay timeout setting? (v20.0.0.12 64-bit)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 04:24:33 PM »
Tools > Options... > Appearance > Tool Windows

You may have missed the fact that that options page has tabs.  Switch to the Options tab.

Auto-hide delay is second from the bottom.

JimmieC

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 06:28:25 PM »
Thanks Dennis,

Yeah, I missed it. I went there but never selected the Tool Windows->Options tab.

Tool Windows has 2 tabs!

I can see that now by the tabs at the top that let you select each one. ;-) ha ha.

Jim

JimmieC

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 06:37:53 PM »
It looks like the implementation could use a tweak. Now it adds that delay to hiding due to loss of focus. If I have focused back to the editor, I likely do not want the search results anymore.

I think the delay should only apply to the time between the running the search and getting focus onto the search results window. After that, hiding on loss of focus should be immediate. That's for me, however, there may be a mountain of other users that prefer it the way it is. If so, I concede to the populous.

My 2 cents worth.
Jim

JimmieC

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 08:01:08 PM »
OK, and one last thing (I PROMISE), I noticed that when a search is run, the search results window pops up almost immediately. I have set it for 300mS delay. However, if the search takes too long, the window hides just as the results are getting posted.

It seems that maybe the timeout should be started when the search engine has notified that the search is complete.

None of this is a big deal, just ideas for future tweaks.

OK, as I said, no more posting about the search results window (this week)!

Regards,
Jim