Author Topic: Multiple New Line Characters  (Read 2508 times)

keck

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Multiple New Line Characters
« on: March 12, 2007, 04:55:52 pm »
I'm using the PC version of SlickEdit, and I'm curious if there is a way to represent multiple characters as a newline.  For instance,  if I wanted the 6 characters: <asdf> to be displayed at the newline character.  Or, anyway, really, of adding this effect to the end of line, but them still being represented as the hidden characters.  Essentially, I'm trying to get it to have this effect:

texttexttexttexttexttext<asdf>
texttexttexttexttexttexttexttext<asdf>
<asdf>
<asdf>
texttexttexttexttext<asdf>

But, I don't want to just insert the text via a "enter" macro, because I don't want them to be able to delete part of the <asdf>, nor hit enter in the middle of it and have something like <as<asdf> and then df> on the next line.

If anyone has any insight into this, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Keck

keck

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: Multiple New Line Characters
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 03:02:20 pm »
No Clue? Anyone? Bueller?

~Keck

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
Re: Multiple New Line Characters
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 07:32:33 pm »
No, you've stumped our panel of celebrity judges. Congratulations! You win the SlickEdit home game--basically, take SlickEdit home and write code there...not much of a game really. ;D

Seriously, this is one weird request. Can you be more specific about what you're doing? Is this for HTML? If so, our new XML/HTML Formatting feature will do content wrapping and is smart enough not to split your tags across multiple lines. If it's not for HTML, then more details will help me understand what you're trying to do so I can suggest alternatives. We have no mechanism to treat a group of letters as though they are a single letter.

--Scott