Author Topic: Projects and folders  (Read 5481 times)

simlife

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Projects and folders
« on: March 14, 2007, 06:33:35 AM »
I'm currently evaluating VSE. I've been looking for an editor that will let me create workspaces/projects where a "folder" means that - a physical filesystem directory. TextPad can't do it. UltraEdit can't, either. All of the open sores editors (for Windows) I've tried use the same "virtual directory" concept.

I have 1 to go - MultiEdit. I'm waiting for their sales people to solve a problem with the eval key they sent me.

So, my question is: Can VSE be coaxed into doing this? When I create a project, it has a "root" folder where the .vpj resides. Then I want those "Header Files" and so on to be actual directories, not "virtual ones".

VS.NET does this, but I can't use VS.NET to manage my Python/Ruby/SQL/JavaScript projects because it only likes its own languages and compilers.

I was hopeful that VSE would let me do this, but after fiddling one hour with the eval version I can't see how. The "directory view" option on the "Auto Folder" thing for the project hilariously won't let me add a folder.

I don't care about the price. I'll happily plop down $299 or whatever VSE goes for if I can get this to work.

Thanks.

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 347
Re: Projects and folders
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 08:33:59 AM »
You can use "add tree" and "add wildcard" in the project properties dialog "files" tab to add a single folder or a folder tree.  "Add wildcard" allows you to filter the files in the folder/tree you want added and also means that at certain times, SlickEdit updates the content of the project by rescanning the specified folder/ tree.  I've never used this feature and it's not described in the Slick V11 help file, but I believe this scanning is done only when you start SlickEdit - however there could well be a way of running the scan on demand.  Slick V12 just released most likely describes this better and I'm sure someone else knows all about it.  SlickEdit will most likely update the workspace tag file when the project content changes so you probably wouldn't want the rescan to run every few seconds as updating the tag file is a little CPU intensive.

Graeme

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 10:57:50 AM »
And besides that the 'Projects' toolbar can be setup to display your project files e.g. as a 'directory' view (context menu -> Auto Folder).

HS2

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 03:28:26 PM »
In the Projects tool window, Directory view, the Add > Folder option is disabled for most project types. I'm not sure why. I'll look into this.

In the meantime, you can create folders when you create a new file: File > New, specify the name of the file and its path. If you put in a subdirectory that doesn't exist you will be prompted whether to create the subdirectory. Or you can just create the file after specifying the type and then do a File > Save As and give it a name and location.

--Scott

simlife

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 04:09:14 AM »
In the Projects tool window, Directory view, the Add > Folder option is disabled for most project types. I'm not sure why. I'll look into this.

Thanks Scott. Of course I can create the folders myself and enable the "directory view", but that's hardly the point, because then VSE doesn't "control" the directory like it does with its virtual folders (file extensions and so on).