Author Topic: SlickEdit v11.0.1 patch unacceptable  (Read 17652 times)

dds82

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
SlickEdit v11.0.1 patch unacceptable
« on: July 14, 2006, 01:39:36 PM »
We use SlickEdit at my job.  I recently downloaded the 11.0.1 patch.  Today I rolled back to 11.0 because I found the 11.0.1 patch to be completely unacceptable.  I found two issues which prevent me from using this patch at all:

* The next-error command (which I have mapped to ctrl+shift+down) no longer works.  Without this command, it's impossible to use the output from a build.
* SlickEdit is more unstable in general.  It hangs very often, much more than it did in the past.

I'm disappointed something this bad made it past QA.

jbezem

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 8
Re: SlickEdit v11.0.1 patch unacceptable
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 01:52:35 PM »
After a suggestion by 'hs2', perform one 'reset-next-error', or recompile 'error.e'.
If your installation is like mine, then it will work until you close SE.
So you do so on each startup... :-(

HTH,

Johan

ch

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: -1
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 02:15:27 PM »
I'm also using version 11.0.1, but I'm not having any problems with the next_error command. I'm not experiencing any program hangs either.

SashaK

• Junior Community Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 07:16:12 PM »
Same error parsing problem here.
Also SE freezes now when build command calls external make file and capturing output to build window.
Just did fresh reinstall, problem remains. Rolling back to v11.0

/sasha

jeffcobb

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 03:10:54 PM »
I just installed the patch on Linux for 11.01 and it now locks hard during makes. Hope this rolls back easy as this will kill me from a work standpoint.

pvonkaenel

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 6
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 11:52:17 AM »
Same error parsing problem here.
Also SE freezes now when build command calls external make file and capturing output to build window.
Just did fresh reinstall, problem remains. Rolling back to v11.0

/sasha

I'm not sure if this applies to you or not, but if you're building Visual Studio 2005 solutions in Slickedit, the build output hangs until the build completes.  This is actually a Microsoft bug that also affects the standard command line.  They are aware of the problem and say it will be fixed in SP1 due out this fall.  I kind of wish they would release a hotfix for this.

As for the error parsing, I haven't had any problems with it since installing the 11.0.1 patch.

Peter

eruisi

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 09:28:19 PM »
I have the same problem. Each time I diff files with files on the CVS serer, SE hangs.

jeffcobb

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 06:06:16 PM »
A little more information although probably not enough. 11.01 under linux (specifically Ubuntu breezy running on an AMD 64 X2) I have noticed the sequence as:
1. Add pre-existing make-style project to existing workspace.
2. Add files to project.
3. Set compile and build commands to make and 'make clean && make' respectively.
4. Set the active project to the new project.
5. Hit build.
Gets to what could be the final link stage and it locks VS harder than a rock. Only a sudo killall vs gets me out. If I just reopen the app (and thus all projects) the project now builds fine and seems to work from then on.

And before anyone suggests it, I have already tried saving the new project, closing vslick, reopening everything and trying the build that way; no joy. Its like the first build is cursed no matter if it is deferred or what. I know I can shell out and just run make myself (do it all the time) but then I have to ask the obvious question then: WTF did I just shell out 300 bones for?

SlickEdit Support

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 29
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 06:20:56 PM »
Here is a new error.e file that should solve the problem for you.  (This will fix the goto/next-error and Build/Hang issues.)

1.)  Make a backup of error.e in your SlickEdit\macros\ directory.  (DO NOT DELETE error.ex and DO NOT UNLOAD the error.ex MODULE FROM SLICKEDIT.)

2.)  Save this attached file to your SlickEdit\macros\ directory and reload via macros-->Load MODULE.

Regards,
SlickEdit Support

jbezem

• Community Member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 09:18:09 AM »
It changes something, however, not all's well for me.
As I wrote to SE support by mail: After startup, SE's reactions on 'cursor_error' have changed in that it tries to interpret the line under the cursor.
However, the regular expressions I have active (ErrorRE.xml) are not recognized until I have performed a 'reset-next-error' (or recompile error.e), as before. Reproducible on every new start of SE.

Regards,

Johan

jeffcobb

• Community Member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 06:23:06 PM »
Well, I wanted to use it for a few days/projects before pronouncing it fixed on my box but it seems to be fixed so at least from the Linux side it seems golden. Tks!

jbezem

• Community Member
Re: SlickEdit v11.0.1 patch acceptable
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 08:42:38 PM »
Yes, same with me. An extra version of error.e did the trick, now 11.0.1 seems to work fine. Thanks a bunch!

Johan