Author Topic: Upgrade to V12^H^H^H2007  (Read 9516 times)

dunkers

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 36
Upgrade to V12^H^H^H2007
« on: March 15, 2007, 04:55:57 PM »
As a long time SlickEdit user I think it's safe to say I like it. So much so that I want to upgrade my V11 without even trying the trial :)

But I'm not allowed to :(. The only upgrade option listed is for shipped media, and since I'm several thousand miles away (and want it Right Now) that's not going to work. What will happen is that I'll have to wait until my local rep lists the upgrade in their online store, then order it and tell them my details, then a couple of days later I'll get a link from which to download it. Er...

Why not just cut out all the hassle and give me a download link from the official website?

dunkers

Re: Upgrade to V12^H^H^H2007
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 06:13:28 PM »
Thanks, Jeffery.

I'm unable to use the phone (I'm profoundly deaf) but I'll badger someone until they do it for me  ;D

Phil Barila

• Hero Points: 61
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 06:50:55 PM »
Not to be a SlickEdit shill, but if you were paying maintenance on your license, you wouldn't have this issue, as the download would have been available as soon (almost) as the release popped.  I'm not sure what the upgrade cost is, but since SE has released a full version release every year since I started using it in late 2001, the maintenance has been well worth it.

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 07:21:51 PM »
Absolutely right - maintenance was and is worth every single cent :)

HS2

PS: I'm also not on their payroll ...

jbhurst

• Hero Points: 33
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 08:19:00 PM »
I've been on maintenance since 1997 I believe, and it is definitely the way to go. Particularly now, because it is quite inexpensive. I believe it used to be somewhat more.  (According to my records, it appears the price came down in 2004 or 2005.)

And yes, I appreciate getting first access to the new product as a maintenance customer. I believe that's also improved from the past.

On the other hand, the online store experience for getting access to the new product -- that could be improved!!! Or was it only me? I had to go through a LOT of screens!

Regards

John Hurst
Wellington, New Zealand

jbhurst

• Hero Points: 33
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 08:29:04 PM »
Well, it's similar to other stores. The thing is, I'm not purchasing anything. I already have maintenance, I just want to download the software. But I have to go through this whole purchase process before I get sent a download link. Lots of pages with $0.00 on them, seems pointless.

Seemed to me if I have current maintenance, I should be able to go to the Registered Products page (or something like it) and just download. I realize you have to send me the key too. I haven't really thought about it that much I guess. And I suppose you're using a package for this, and there's only so much you can do.

Anyway, not a big deal. Only happens once a year, right? ;-)

Regards

John Hurst
Wellington, New Zealand

dunkers

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 10:39:27 PM »
Thanks all. I think I'm sorted on this one now  8)

Maintenance... hmm, well I used to think it's a two-edged sword, and it depends on the product, of course. Maybe I should get preferential treatment for not having taken the cheap route over the years! Sorted now, though  ;)