Author Topic: Vista UAC notes, and some Vista feebies  (Read 4713 times)

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 44
Vista UAC notes, and some Vista feebies
« on: March 16, 2007, 03:06:35 PM »
Here are some UAC "lessons-learned" from using SlickEdit 2007 on Windows Vista.

SlickEdit 2007 was updated with UAC in mind. You can run and work with SlickEdit as standard user.
However, where I've run into problems is invoking commandline builds. If the tools that build your projects need administrative rights, then you'll need to run SE as administrator as well.
Compiling C++ projects using Visual Studio 2003 seems to run fine as standard user. Visual Studio 2005 needs admin rights. NAnt builds also want to be admin.

I recommend creating a copy of one of your shortcuts, and modify it to run SE as administrator. If you want to copy and modify the QuickLaunch shortcut, open the %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch directory. Copy the shortcut, rename it SE 2007 Admin (or whatever), right click it to bring up Properties. Under the Shortcut tab, click Advanced, and check the Run as Admin option.

I also modify the target field to add the +new option at the end (outside the quotes) so that I can run 1 instance as standard user, and 1 instance as admin.

Caution: If you go to the "Compatibility" tab, and use the "Show settings for all users" option, you will end up modifying vs.exe itself. I recommed NOT using this as the way to set up admin rights. Vista will remember this setting even after an uninstall/re-install, and you'll be stuck with always running SE as admin until you switch it back off.

When you're running SE as admin, you can't double-click .vpw and .vpj files to automatically launch and open. You also cannot drag files in from Explorer. This will affect other apps that you're used to dragging files onto.

OK, now for the freebies (attached)

SlickEditRecentWkspc.gadget: A simple Sidebar gadget to list your most recent workspaces. After installing the gadget, you will need to bring up the gadget's configuration pane (the little wrench button) if you did not place SE 2007 or your config directory in the default locations.

VistaSidebarPrjTmpl.zip: A SlickEdit template that creates a Sidebar gadget starter project, including the .vpw and .vpj files. Extract the zip file under your Documents\My SlickEdit Config\templates\ItemTemplates directory.