Author Topic: Preview downgrade  (Read 6970 times)

dunkers

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 28
Preview downgrade
« on: March 17, 2007, 03:11:52 am »
Is there any way of getting the old symbols window back? The new preview is jolly nice, but just doesn't do the same job. On SE11 I had the symbol window taking up the bottom 7 (plus heading) lines as a fixed and docked window, plus the references, output, build and search windows overlaid and set to auto-hide. Normally I'd be seeing symbols as I type, but when I need them the other windows are a click away yet don't take up any extra space (or disturb other windows) and then disappear when I've finished with them.

The new preview window kind of puts the kibosh on that since it leaves 3 lines for comments and 3.5 lines for the preview. I also have two editing windows side by side (so I can refer to one and type in the other), so the preview window would fit in much better if the symbol and comment parts were able to go down the side of the preview part (just like the references window).

However, that still misses quite a very important part of the old symbol window which was the drop down list of previously viewed symbols. Sometimes I highlight a symbol in the editing window then switch focus to the /other/ editing window and then double click the symbol window. That gets the symbol definition into my 'refer' editing window. However, sometimes the refering window has the cursor on some symbol, so the focus change causess the symbol window to change! The drop down list let me back up to get to the symbol I originally wanted (hope you can following this). Additionally, I could type into the edit box and manually look up some symbol - useful when I'm not sure exactly what it's called or how it's spelt.

So, the new preview is nice,  but I'd like my old symbol window back. Can it be done?

dunkers

Re: Preview downgrade
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 02:08:07 pm »
Just discovered the new 'Find Symbol' toolbar which is jolly nice and goes a long way to giving me back the functionality I miss. Nevertheless, being able to show the preview window parts side-by-side instead of vertically stacked is a high priority for me.

dunkers

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 02:55:16 pm »
So I thought I'd do this myself, which is why we get the code after all :)

Obviously, I don't want to screw up the existing preview form but I do want to use it as the basis for my new one - the only changes are to move the windows around a bit. Obviously, the quick route would be to make a copy of the existing for to either a) act as a backup, or b) provide 95% of the work on the new form. Which is where I'm stuck - I can't see how to copy the preview form. How does one normally make copies of forms?

[Later...]
Copied vslick.sta for safekeeping. Modified the preview form which looked good but then turned out to be very very broken indeed. Copied vslick.sta back - preview still broken. Edit preview form and that is back to the original, but no loading or saving or anything (including touching vslick.sta) gets the actual preview to be unbroken. Resort to re-running install and elect to repair everything. That 'repairs' the personal menu modifications I spent some time copying over from SE11 but leaves the preview window untouched. The form for it looks fine but the one actually being used... Seems I need to do a complete vape and re-install from scratch  :'(

« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 03:23:32 pm by dunkers »

boo

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 09:35:56 pm »
Preview window + Find Symbols = Real estate killer.

andy_kaylor

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 05:40:19 pm »
I also wish that I could go back to the old symbol window.  The comment pane just takes up too much space and tends not to be what I'm interested in.

dunkers

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 06:57:53 pm »
Exactly so. I'm working on an alternative (sans comment, list on left, maybe a history dropdown) but I don't actually know what I'm doing and even that has to fit in between real life projects  ;)

dunkers

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 03:19:41 am »
I don't suppose there's any plan by the SE chaps (and/or chapesses) to re-implement the old symbols window?

This is important enough to me that I'd consider offering a bounty for someone with a clue to fix.

Ding Zhaojie

• Hero Points: 37
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 09:21:10 am »
I hacked it, so it can dock at bottom now ;D

just swap the "edit1" and "ctltagdocs" control.

dunkers

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 11:02:18 am »
That looks good! Unfortunately, I completely ballsed up swapping the controls - do you mean to move them around on the form or in the code?

Nevertheless, that only solves part of the problem. The other useful part of the previous version was that one could use the drop-down on the left (that isn't there now) to go back to a previously displayed symbol. Many times I've changed to a different window to load what the preview is showing, only to find it's now previewing what's in the new window!

On the subject of forms, what's the preferred method of backup? One thing that stops me messing with forms is that I couldn't easily make a copy, so if I screwed up really badly I couldn't just go back to the original.