Author Topic: Has SlickEdit abandoned Java?  (Read 27759 times)

crygaard

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: Has SlickEdit abandoned Java?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2006, 04:47:17 PM »
With respect to the class name completion issue, I encourage your to put together a small (but complete!) example and submit it to support@slickedit.com.  At this time, I am not aware of any existing issues with symbol completion in Java.

In a Java source code file, on a blank line:

(1) Type "java"
(2) Press the period key.  A list of packages pops up.
(3) Type "awt"
(4) Press the period key.  A list of packages pops up.
(5) Type "event"
(6) Press the period key.  Slickedit erases "event".
(7) Retype "event"
(8) Press the period key.  A list of classes pops up.

With Java 5 Generics, no syntax completion works at all.

crygaard

• Community Member
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2006, 04:57:16 PM »
next and prev error should work for you.  Make sure you are using Sun's javac and not Eclipse's javac (which I think is Jikes).  The command "javac --version" will tell you what version of the compiler you are using.  I think Eclipse's javac pukes on this command.

Under Linux, I noticed that "/usr/bin/javac" is eclipse's javac which does not give compiler output that slickedit uderstands.  Jikes used to have an option for a different error message format but it seems to have been removed.

I'm compiling within the editor using Sun's Java 1.4.2.  If there is an undefined symbol, the editor points to the offending line and reports "undefined symbol".  It does not tell me which is the offending symbol.  This defeats the purpose of compiling within the editor, because an undefined symbol requires these actions:

(1)  press <ctrl><shift><down> to find the error
(2)  read the useless error message
(3)  press <ctrl><shift>M to look at the compiler output
(4)  read the actual compiler error message, find the offending symbol, and remember it.
(5)  press <alt><tab> to return to the source code
(6)  Remember and find the offending symbol.
(7)  Repair the problem.

If the system were working properly, steps (2) through (6) would be eliminated.

Dennis

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 515
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2006, 09:16:17 PM »
I appreciate the detailed bug reports.  The problem with completion of package names will be fixed in the next release of SlickEdit.  Contact support@slickedit.com if you would like to get a hot fix for this problem.

With respect to the error parsing issue, this is a limitation of the error parsing, since it just gets error message from the first line (which contains the file and line number).  Note that next-error *does* position the cursor on the correct column, as indicated by javac.  That's frequently enough in order to see the compile error, but we will look into working past the "first line" limitation in a future release.

Finally, as for Java 5 generics.  We have made some recent fixes to some very specific problems, such as parsing an anonymous class that extends a generic.  I find it hard to believe that it doesn't work at all for you.  Example please.

crygaard

• Community Member
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2006, 11:58:26 PM »
Finally, as for Java 5 generics.  We have made some recent fixes to some very specific problems, such as parsing an anonymous class that extends a generic.  I find it hard to believe that it doesn't work at all for you.  Example please.

Consider this source code:

class SlickEditTest
   {
      static java.util.Hashtable<String,String> _genericMember;
      public static void main( String args[] )
      {
         java.util.Hashtable<String,String> _genericStack;
         _genericMember = new java.util.Hashtable<String,String>();
         _genericStack = new java.util.Hashtable<String,String>();

}
   }

In the blank line:

(1) type "_genericMember"
(2) Press the period key.  Nothing happens.

Alternatively, in the blank line:

(1) type "_genericStack"

Chris

crygaard

• Community Member
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2006, 12:07:59 AM »
Whoops!  Apologies...

Shortly after I posted the previous message, I determined the problem.  My tag files were built from Java 1.4.2, so naturally SlickEdit couldn't complete the symbols.  I re-built the tag files from Java 5, and the problem was resolved.

However, my original question has not been answered:  Is there still interest in supporting Java?  In particular, will Slickedit ever support refactoring in Java?

Chris

Consider this source code:

class SlickEditTest
   {
      static java.util.Hashtable<String,String> _genericMember;
      public static void main( String args[] )
      {
         java.util.Hashtable<String,String> _genericStack;
         _genericMember = new java.util.Hashtable<String,String>();
         _genericStack = new java.util.Hashtable<String,String>();

}
   }

In the blank line:

(1) type "_genericMember"

Alternatively, in the blank line:

(1) type "_genericStack"

Chris

Dennis

• Hero Points: 515
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2006, 02:27:27 PM »
Excellent.  I'm glad to hear that context tagging is now working properly for you with Java Generics.  As a side note, one of the features we are investigating for the next release to improve Java support is to simplify using multiple JDK's.  This should minimize the pain when switching between modern (1.5+) and less modern (1.4) Java projects.

I believe the Scott has already addressed Java refactoring, but let me restate some points.  First, we provide two of the most critical refactorings (rename and extract method) for Java with our "quick" (language independent) refactorings.  Second, writing a full-blown refactoring engine is a major undertaking, and even more complex with the advent of generics and other new language features in 1.5.  It would be difficult for SlickEdit to invest this much and retain our low price point.  Nevertheless, we do recognize the demand for Java refactoring.  It's just a big job.

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2006, 03:02:31 PM »
Chris,

How can you say that your original question wasn't answered?!?  ???  I gave myself carpal tunnel syndrome typing up that first reply.  ;)

Of course we're still interested in supporting Java! Our support of Java has been continuous and unwavering. Every release of SlickEdit contains additional functionality to make coding in Java faster and more effective. Version 12 will contain additional enhancements for our Java customers. Support for a language cannot be judged solely by the presence or absence of a single feature, particularly one as large as building a refactoring engine.

I can't see into the future well enough to say whether SlickEdit will ever include a parser-driven refactoring engine for Java. We do offer the Quick Refactorings which handle some of the most common transformations performed in refactoring, and we plan to continue to refine these.

I don't know what more I can say. So, it's time for a Haiku...

my reply ignored?
the many features listed
did not convince Chris.

or

supporting Java;
enhancements every release
to ease your coding

--Scott

crygaard

• Community Member
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2006, 04:44:01 PM »
RefactorIT, one of the leading commercial Java refactoring tools, sells for $134.44 for the Developer edition, which is limited to projects of 500 files or less. The Enterprise Edition with no project size limitation sells for $400.61.  I think you can see that it would be hard to add a capability like this to SlickEdit, which sells for $284 for electronic distribution, without increasing the price. Though we did that with C++ Refactoring, we are still working to make it reach its full potential.

Are there any hooks in SlickEdit that let me invoke RefactorIT (or another refactoring tool) from within SlickEdit, and have the results show up immediately in my open buffers?  If so, I would be willing to pop $400 for the capability.

If not, then I'm making a feature request:  add hooks for third-party refactoring tools, similar to your hooks for third-party version control tools.

Chris

rod_gomz

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2006, 08:14:10 PM »
I think it was appropiate the dump the GUI builder. It seem outdated and not mainted and it lack innovation. There are other better GUI builders and if you are GUI person you won't come to SlickEdit to draw your GuI. Some programmers even do it by hand.

The Java features in Slick are somewhat good. I used IntelliJ IDEA for JAVA though.

I use Slickedit where I can't use IDEA or to supplement IDEA. Slick can do c++ really well. Slick can handle large files. Slick is a good overall editor with great overall support for many languages not just JAVA. I think the C++ is where Slick shines.

rod_gomz

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2006, 08:16:28 PM »
I forgot, the XML support is good too. It needs to keep getting better and support XSLT and all those technologies. I think XSLT support is good though. But don't rest on your laurels.

PlanetPratt

• Hero Points: 6
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2006, 04:04:37 AM »
Since version 8, we have developed the following features for Java users:
  • JUnit support was added in v10.

Any idea when support for the new jUnit 4 will be added?  It would be very nice to use with the Java 5 support in SlickEdit.
  (*Chris*)