Author Topic: How do I create a window?  (Read 5123 times)

timur

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 3
How do I create a window?
« on: March 20, 2007, 06:25:14 PM »
I remember there used to be a macro by some guy named Dan that would take the current selection, create a stand-alone detached window, and paste the selection into that window.  It was great for viewing code snippets.  I can't find the macro, and I can't find any info on creating the window.  Can anyone help?

The reason I ask is that I'd like to create a macro to opens the current file in a new window (not just a new buffer, but a new window that's detached from the rest of slickedit buffers).

Lisa

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 24
  • User-friendly geek-speak translator extraordinaire
Re: How do I create a window?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 09:45:58 PM »
I can't find the macro either but your post did ring a bell. I don't know if this will help or not. We have a feature that will create a file from a selection. Make a selection, then from the main menu select File > Write Selection (or use the gui_write_selection command). This displays an Open-style dialog that lets you specify a file name and location for the new file that will be created from the selection.

Also, if you haven't already, you may want to look in the Help Table of Contents > Macro Functions by Category > Window Functions.

Dan is a developer here at SlickEdit, so perhaps he will chime in with more useful information.

-Lisa