Author Topic: Native Cocoa OSX version?  (Read 14675 times)

jashan

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Re: Native Cocoa OSX version?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 10:44:52 pm »
I guess so - but I already have a license for VS and am very happy with it. So what I'm really looking for is something at least somewhat equivalent for the Mac (which is really hard to find)...

PepeChulin

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: -5
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 02:53:21 pm »
Hello,
To all Mac users asking for a native version, please read the previous posts on the subject. The SlickEdit team has made it clear that they will not do a native version. The VP of dev even says, "If it was as easy as some have suggested, I could have done it in the time it took me to answer the posts about when we are going to have a native Mac version. <Falls to floor frothing and pulling out hair>".

So, all we're really doing by asking them for a native version is making them froth at the mouth as they answer our queries.

They've also emphatically, categorically and repeatedly claimed that a native Mac UI will involve a "full rewrite" of the application, which they have no intention of doing.

Good luck with one of the many other options out there! Hopefully, you can find a vendor that won't froth at the mouth when you ask for a better version of the product.  :)

jashan

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 03:21:59 pm »
Argh - I had looked for "cocoa" with the search, but "native" would have been the keyword. Anyways, "frothing" also works as a highly selective keyword that yields the results I had been looking for (and I have just learned a new word) ;-) . Sorry that I had missed http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=3411.0 - that explains it all, and I wouldn't have posted to this thread if I had found that other thread as it answers the questions I had clearly... So thanks for the pointer!!!

I think a little humor is always helpful, and I also think a "Mac version" is not necessarily a "better" version. It's just a version for another OS (I would call the current version of SlickEdit "for the Mac" "SlickEdit for Unix running on a Mac under X11" - but that doesn't sound like a slick marketing term, now does it?) Personally, I don't really believe in this cross-plattform bs (sorry for the wording) for productive applications anyways, because more often than not, it's more than just using another widget-set (as has been pointed out in the thread I had missed ;-) ). It may be completely different philosophies or cultures of how UI is being approached.

Honestly, when I want a Linux app on Windows, I'd rather have Linux in a VM and run it "in its home-environment". When I want a Windows app on my Mac, I'd do the same with a VM. The only poor people in the world are those who don't own a Mac, because they can't run Mac OS without a big hack (if anyone of them cares ;-) ).

When I'm in the situation of needing a slick editor for another language than C# and Java (and SQL.. and HTML ;-) ), I'll evaluate the Windows version of SlickEdit (I might get into doing some LUA stuff, so that might be not too long from now)... I guess at this moment, Windows simply still is "the OS for software-engineering". Who knows - maybe some day, some Mac people come up with a development environment on that OS that really rocks ;-)

lclevesy

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 04:43:11 pm »
Thank you for your interest in SlickEdit offering a native Mac version. We are excited to announce that native Mac support will be offered in 2012. View the announcement here: http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=7110.0.