Author Topic: Find and Replace: How to make Color Coding Search Option persist  (Read 3194 times)

mcdeaver

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
In the Find and Replace dialog:  How can I make a color coding search option persist to future Find and Replace attempts in my current SlickEdit session as well as in future sessions?

Specifically, I want "not Comment" to be a default color coding search option.

I have SlickEdit Pro 2014 (v19.0.2.5 32-bit) for Windows 7.

Tim Kemp

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 92
Re: Find and Replace: How to make Color Coding Search Option persist
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 04:23:52 PM »
I'm pretty sure that if you select it, it will stay. It sounds like it works the way you are asking for.

mcdeaver

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 03:21:23 PM »
Actually, my "not Comment" color selection does not stay (persist), not even among search attempts in the same workspace/project in the same SE session:  (1) I bring up the Find and Replace window with the Find in Files tab selected, and go to the Color window to deselect Comment.  (2) Click Find to perform my search.  (3) Bring up the Find and Replace window again and my "not Comment" color selection is gone (says "Colors: None").

Other attributes of Find and Replace persist in the above example:  Active tab, whether to match case or whole words, whether to append to output, etc.  But my Color selection doesn't persist.

Tim Kemp

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 03:52:07 PM »
That's odd. I have the same version of SlickEdit running under Windows and it does persist. I don't recall this ever being a bug in the past. In fact I've run into problems because I didn't remember to turn off colors before. (If you look way back in my comment history you can find me grousing about it.) I wonder if you might have a corrupted configuration or something.

You might try starting SlickEdit with a default configuration to see if it works any differently for you. You can do this from the command line with, "vs -sc newpath" where newpath is the location to put the new configuration files.

Dennis

• Hero Points: 515
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 04:15:37 PM »
How about:  Tools > Options > Editing > Search > Tool window options > "Initialize with default options" > OFF

Tim Kemp

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 04:22:19 PM »
Thanks Dennis! I didn't know about that setting.

mcdeaver

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 09:06:14 PM »
Bingo, changing that setting to Off works.  Thanks Dennis.