Author Topic: SE MAC taking focus from other applications  (Read 3047 times)

rajkej

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 14
SE MAC taking focus from other applications
« on: June 22, 2016, 01:11:27 PM »
I've been noticing for about a week now that SE 20.0.3.0 for MAC will take focus from another application. For instance, I was using Safari in space #1 and SE took focus and switched me to space #2. I manually switch back to Safari and several seconds later, SE takes focus again. I've seen this a few different times now but haven't figured out what is causing SE to do this. I'm not actively telling SE to do something and seeing it finish to cause this. Best guess is that SE is doing something in the background, finishing that and causing focus to switch to SE.

Any ideas on what to look for when this happens? Has anybody else had this issue?

I don't recall having issues like this with prior versions. I just installed 20.0.3 a short while ago.

rajkej

Re: SE MAC taking focus from other applications
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 02:11:07 PM »
This seems to happen when my cursor is in the vicinity of the "Defs" and/or "File Open" tabs. For example, I can have Safari or Mail open and their window is on top of SE on the same space. When my cursor moves across the portion of SE that contains the Defs or File Open (see screenshot) then SE will take focus.

I can CMD-Tab to another application and if my cursor is over one of these areas, SE will immediately take focus back. This is getting very annoying.

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 11:52:14 AM »
When you say "moves across the portion of SE" -  do you mean that part of the slickedit window is actually visible or is it completely obscured by Safari etc?

In tools -> options -> appearance -> preview tool window, you could try turning off "activate preview tool window from other windows" , if it's on.  Also in tools -> options -> appearance -> tool windows, select the "options" tab and enable "hide when application is inactive" - see if that helps.  Can you minimize windows on a MAC? - if so, does slick still steal the focus if it's minimised?  Another thing to try is in "application options" -> notifications - turn on "disable all popups".

rajkej

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 01:20:25 PM »
"moves across the portion of SE"...

SE is behind my Safari/other windows but portions of SE are visible. No matter if the defs/file open windows are visible or hidden by the application in front of SE, SE will activate.

Tools->Options->Appearance->Preview tool window->Activate preview tool window from other windows was already off

Tools->Options->Appearance->Tool windows->Options tab->Hide when application is inactive was not checked but I've done so now.

I can minimize windows on a MAC. I'll have to see if that does anything. My guess is that would prevent the issue. This is because I have seen a few other applications that use pop up tooltips show their tooltips when the mouse cursor is going through another application. i.e. I have a java application that has its tooltips show up when safari is on top of the java application and the mouse happens to go into the right spot. The java application does NOT take focus however. I'm kind-of thinking there was a recent change/maybe bug fix to SE dealing with focus that is causing this. I recall seeing something in the forums about windows not being on top and am wondering if that change somehow messes this up for me.

Finally, I have now checked the "disable all pop-ups" as well. As a data point, I wasn't seeing any pop-ups before.

Thanks for the suggestions and I'll see how things go here for a bit with these two changes.

rajkej

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 01:38:31 PM »
I'm still seeing the issue with the two changes made per the previous post.

I noticed a few times this happened this morning that the tooltip for the file path is what was showing when focus changed. See attachment for the tooltip I'm talking about. Maybe SE isn't unregistering for some mouse over events or similar when it looses focus.

I haven't noticed in the past if the tooltip was always the issue but I'll keep an eye on it today to see if that's a common part of what's going on.

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 130
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 02:15:21 PM »
I have not been able to reproduce this yet in a default config using 20.0.3 on El Capitan, what emulation are you using?  And does the Open tool window have focus when the application switches?

rajkej

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 02:59:22 PM »
CUA Emulation

What I noticed on the past few switching was that the tooltip was showing on the file open window but the cursor in my edit window was what was active. I.e. if I started typing, I was modifying code.

The file open window did not have the blue highlight around it as if I had clicked on it so I don't think it had focus. The tool tips have been showing so they seem to have focus.

rajkej

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 09:13:39 PM »
Every time I have seen this today, a tooltip has been under the cursor when SE took focus from another application. I have seen tool tips from the Defs window (2 times), the File Open window (lots), and the editor window itself (1 time).

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 04:06:04 AM »
You can turn off tool tips, tools -> options -> appearance -> toolbars, select the options tab.

rajkej

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 08:21:40 PM »
Thanks Graeme! Turning off tooltips has prevented SE from taking focus from anything all day so far.

I like the tooltips from time to time but can live without them. Hopefully someone from SE will find what changed recently to get tooltips fixed.