Author Topic: Are tag files, autosave, vsdelta backwards compatible?  (Read 5030 times)

jporkkahtc

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 210
  • Text
Are tag files, autosave, vsdelta backwards compatible?
« on: July 15, 2016, 06:02:26 PM »
If I switch back and forth between 20.0.3 and the beta can the two versions use the same tag file, autosave path and vsdelta path?
Or, should I keep them separate?

Mike

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 21
Re: Are tag files, autosave, vsdelta backwards compatible?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 06:21:18 PM »
I would definitely keep them separate from production, given that this is a beta release.
That being said, I would only expect the vsdelta to be cross compatible in this manner.
(Most past versions have had at least some change to the tag file, and I am not sure about the autosave path.)

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 02:13:12 AM »
The tag files are definitely not compatible. The autosave path and vsdelta path can be the same though.

v21 can read v20 tag files but I think there will be a problem the other way around (v20 can't read v21 tag files).

TKasparek

• Hero Points: 29
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 03:41:13 PM »
What's the easiest way to clean this up if I want to trial and contribute to v21? Use a separate workspace with a different tag file directory specified in the workspace but same projects or just make sure to run retag workspace/projects each time I go back to v20? Something else?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 03:46:04 PM »
I think creating a copy of your workspace under a different name is the easiest way. Given workspace A.vpw, copy it as A-v21.vpw. I think that's pretty simple. Then the workspace tag file will be under a different name automatically.

TKasparek

• Hero Points: 29
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 04:00:53 PM »
I use project tagged files because I use workspaces to group a collection of exactly the same projects (multiple svn check-outs) to manage tracking different changes to a single project as it goes through our change control process. Project tags are needed to allows References to only show the references once; for the current project (FYI, this also makes push-tag very frustrating without a project filter but pick your poison..) Anyway, I assume the project tag files need to be in different directories, which I believe is specified in the workspace. This should work correct?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 04:07:42 PM »
If you are using project tag files, you also need to set the the workspace tag files directory. This will effect the location of all project tag files.

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 210
  • Text
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 07:48:39 PM »
In the tagfiles, near the top (in the header?) I see: NTAG_DATABASE_20.0.0
This is the same for V20.0.3 and V21.
If the tag files are different, the version number should get updated.

I already went the route of creating duplicate VPW and VPJ files for V21, but this is a real pain.
It would make it easier if the "VTG" extension included a version as well, when the tag file format changes incompatibly.

Seems like the VPWHIST file is different as well -- when I run V20.0.3 it complains about this.

Workspace Tagfiles path:

In the VPW file there is:
   <Workspace Version="10.0" VendorName="SlickEdit" TagFileDir="Common\tagfiles\">

The string in TagFileDir is parsed with
   _parse_project_command

So it oughta be possible to make this path be different depending on the Slick version.

TagFileDir="Tagfiles\%(macro my_function %(VSDIR))"

Where "my_function" returns somelike like V21, or V20, or whatever.

As a bonus the VPWHIST file seems to get dropped into the workspace Tagfile folder as well ... so this would make it easier to keep the 2 versions from tangling with each other.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 04:17:51 PM »
For beta 1, it turns out the tag file format has not changed. I thought one change that was added would make the database format change but it didn't.

We are working on some performance enhancements which may or may not make it into a future beta/gold that would definitely require changing the tag file version.