Author Topic: Installation Failure  (Read 7382 times)

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 526
Re: Installation Failure
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 06:42:42 PM »
From studying the crash and our code, we have determined that the files in the "plugins" directory are either not there or can't be read.

Missing/can't read the following files for sure:

plugins/com_slickedit.base/language/process/language.process.cfg.xml
plugins/com_slickedit.base/language/process/language.%2AALL_LANGUAGES%2A.cfg.xml

Here are the possibilities we can think as to why this would happen:

* The permissions could be bad so these files can't be read
* Some tar programs can't handle filenames longer than 70 characters. We've only seen this on HPUX and AIX.
* You ran out of disk space

Please check if you can read these files and if they are there

Thanks

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 07:22:42 PM »
Please do this test:

Run SlickEdit 2015 (v20.whatever)
From the SlickEdit command line type:   list <v21-beta1-installdir>/plugins/*.cfg.xml

The above command should created an edit window with a file manager list which includes the files I mentioned above. Assuming the files are there, move the cursor to each of the above files and press the Enter key to open them. If all this works, that means that v21 should be able to find and read these files too.

b

• Hero Points: 26
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2016, 09:31:50 PM »
I have backups of my ~/.slickedit and ~/slickedit directories.  My ~/.slickedit directory actually contains several past release configs (18.0.1, 19.0.[012], 20.0.[0123]).   I install SE into ~/slickedit, letting the new installation upgrade.

However, as I mentioned, I have backed these directories up before the installation onto another machine with the same structure (cd ~; rsync -aSHP --delete .slickedit slickedit backupmachine:).   I reverse it when I restore my environment back to a working 20.0.3 installation.

To reproduce the SE, from 20.0.3, I execute the following:
cd ~
tar xzvf se_21000002_linux64_beta1.tar.gz
cd se_21000002_linux64_beta1
./vsinst

After getting the previously reported complaints and apparently corrupt error messages, I finally get the installed license and attempt to execute vs +new -sc /tmp/config (as previously noted in this thread).

Neither the prior, nor the upgraded /slickedit/plugins/com_slickedit.base/language directory has a process subdirectory.  But contains the following:

$ ls ~/slickedit/plugins/com_slickedit.base/language/
c/  coffeescript/  cs/  googlego/  java/  lua/  pl/  py/  ruby/  swift/

Moreover, the list ~/slickedit/plugins/*.cfg.xml (via 20.0.3) provides the following output (see attached text file as forum griped about too many characters), which I was able to successfully (and tediously) open all 188 files via the list command/enter with 20.0.3 SE.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2016, 10:00:08 PM »
Ah..finally figure out the bug. It's too simple.

Right now, installing v21 on top of an existing v20 installation doesn't work at all. We will enhance vsinst to cleanup the plugins directory.

Your plugins directory should only have "com_slickedit.base.zip". Delete the "com_slickedit.base" directory and all it's files ("rm -rf com_slickedit.bat")

Sorry I goofed on my directions. I forgot that our dev setup has source files but installations have the .zip file for better performance.

b

• Hero Points: 26
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2016, 10:15:51 PM »
WooHoo!  Two (or more) bugs for the price of one.  I'll keep my SE 20.0.3 installation around to test the next beta upgrade that comes out.  :)  Might want to make sure vs_exe doesn't freak out if a directory and a zip file exist at the same time due to an install goes rogue.  ;D

$ rm -rf ~/slickedit/plugins/com_slickedit.base

Now, for the first time I can get SE 21 beta up and running.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2016, 10:20:28 PM »
We just missed this issue. The installation needs to take care of it. It's supposed to be OK for both to be there UNLESS the source files aren't essentially all the files in the .zip file. When the source is there, we don't bother opening the .zip. We assume it's some sort of development installation. This is part of how plugins are designed.