Author Topic: CTags support in SE Standard 2016 v21?  (Read 4542 times)

mwb1100

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 13
CTags support in SE Standard 2016 v21?
« on: July 18, 2016, 08:53:30 PM »
The feature comparison table (https://www.slickedit.com/products/slickedit/compare-editions) for SE Pro vs SE Standard has none of the code navigation features checked for SE Standard. However, the release notes for the SE v21 Beta says:

- Added support for CTags and ETags for SlickEdit Standard edition

Is this an indication that SE Standard will support code navigation features in SE 2016 v21? If so, is there information on exactly what navigation features will be supported in Standard?

I ask because I know someone who is interested in SE but balks at the SE Pro price.

Dennis

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 517
Re: CTags support in SE Standard 2016 v21?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 09:44:38 PM »
SlickEdit Standard 2016 will support very primitive code navigation using ctags (not etags, I need to correct the readme).

If your cursor is on a symbol, you can hit Ctrl+Dot, and it will attempt to use the ctags file the you built to locate the definition of the symbol.  Also, auto-complete will support completions using ctags based tag files.  It is not context aware, and it only knows about files in your workspace (if you use SlickEdit to build tags). 

You will still need SlickEdit Pro to have references, list-members, function argument help, Preview tool window, or the Find Symbol tool window.

If you are using something like VIM with tags, this might be the missing link to get you to try out SlickEdit, but it is nowhere close to the tagging capabilities of SlickEdit Pro.