Author Topic: B1: Groovy support - SlickEdit has stopped working  (Read 2946 times)

shadm

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
B1: Groovy support - SlickEdit has stopped working
« on: July 19, 2016, 02:47:58 PM »
I happen to be doing some work in groovy, so was happy to see a ton of support in the next version of SE.  Unfortunately, it appears to have a problem and crashes SE.  I created the attached project from a clean SE config and it crashes immediately upon startup.

If you need to, you can retrieve the project source from:

git clone https://github.com/jenkinsci/job-dsl-plugin.git

My platform:

SlickEdit Pro 2016 (v21.0.0.2 64-bit)

Serial number: FE12899_BETA
License type: Beta License
License expiration: 2016-10-30 19:00:00
License file: C:\ProgramData\slickedit\21\slickedit.lic

Build Date: July 14, 2016
Emulation: Visual Studio

OS Version: 10.00.0 
Memory: 62% Load, 20309MB/32654MB Physical, 20296MB/32654MB Page File, 503MB/134217727MB Virtual
Shell Information: C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /q
Screen Size: 1920 x 1080

Project Type: Single file project - Other
Language: No file open
Encoding: No file open

Installation Directory: c:\Program Files\SlickEdit Pro 21.0.0 Beta1\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,114585MB free)
Configuration Directory: c:\cleanseconfig2\21.0.0\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,114585MB free)

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 151
Re: B1: Groovy support - SlickEdit has stopped working
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 03:55:08 PM »
Thanks for the report, I'll take a look at that project a little later today and see what the problem is.

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 04:35:53 PM »
Yep, reproduced that pretty quick.  I'll have it fixed for the next beta drop.  Thanks again for the report.

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 06:25:45 PM »
I forgot to update when it came out, the fix for this was in the beta 2 drop, along with a few other Groovy specific fixes for problems I found looking at the project you linked.  Let us know if you have any other problems. 

shadm

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 04:30:03 PM »
I tested it out the day it was released.  This bug went away, but when I try to open the top level build.gradle project here:

https://github.com/jenkinsci/job-dsl-plugin.git

it doesn't seem to do anything.  The sub-projects seem to open ok, just the top level doesn't seem to be handled.

Thanks!

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 06:15:16 PM »
Hmm, I seem to be able to open it with Project -> Open Other Workspace -> Gradle Project File.  Once I've done that, I can build the project at least. 

If you created a SlickEdit project in the first beta, you may want to get rid of the .vpw and .vpj files, and try re-importing it afterwards, I did fix some bugs with dealing with the SlickEdit project file creation for beta 2 that could be problematic.

If that doesn't change anything, then you'll have to step me through what you've done, and exactly what you're missing.  It could just be I'm not seeing wrong anything because I'm working with a clean clone of the repository, not sure.

shadm

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 06:52:06 PM »
My apologies, that may be what I ran into.  I had some SE project files in there, and when I cleaned those out, it did open the project.  Not sure which way is more correct, but when I open that project in NetBeans (I was using this before SE supported groovy) it basically shows 3 gradle sub-projects within, where SE just shows one project with all the source included-though the job-dsl-api-viewer seems to be missing?

I'm very new to gradle and groovy, so it was very helpful to me the way NetBeans handled this, but I still move around 10 times faster in SE, so even basic support is an improvement to my productivity.  It's good to work in my preferred editor, so thanks for all your help!

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 07:09:06 PM »
We can have it do projects for the build.gradle files that aren't at the top level of the project too.  It is helpful for when you're just working in a small piece of the main project, and you don't want to build the world.  I'll see if I can get it in for the next beta.

Thanks for the feedback.