Author Topic: Printer setup, v20.0.2.1 64-bit, Win7  (Read 3201 times)

JimmieC

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 17
Printer setup, v20.0.2.1 64-bit, Win7
« on: July 22, 2016, 05:08:28 PM »
When previewing a print job and want to change the paper size or other properties related to the printer, the user must:

Select Print as if they are going to print
Select the printer (in my case that supports a Legal tray)
Select Apply
Select Cancel (gets you back to Preview)
Select Page Setup

It seems to me that the user should be able to select the printer as separate setup.

SE v16.0.3.0 32-bit had this. See attached screen shots.

The new way works, it just seems a little wonky.

------------
       Related but different: My previous post about printing specific pages:
            https://community.slickedit.com/index.php/topic,13206.msg52372.html#msg52372
       ------------

Regards,
Jim

EDIT: Further, I found that if the user selects Print directly from the "Print Dialog" and selects the printer, then apply, then Cancel, the print operation ends and the new printer does not stick. I tried this in attempt to preset the printer before going into print preview. My default printer (in the lab) does not use support Legal. Setting the default printer to a different printer first depending on what I am printing from SE would work but is clunky.

EDIT2: Once the changes are made and the print is done, SE does not remember those print settings for the duration of that edit session. So, if the user is printing multiple documents that require that printer (paper size), they must be configured on every print.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 05:18:44 PM by JimmieC »

JimmieC

Re: Printer setup, v20.0.2.1 64-bit, Win7
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 06:29:38 PM »
SE has locked up several times while adjusting the print operation, selecting printer, selecting font.

See attached screen shot.

Also, it would be nice to have the "Font" selection available on the Preview page. In my case, I am trying to get some memory dumps to fit on Legal paper. They can fit on Legal; Letter no way. But to do that, I needed to change the font from Courier New 11 to Courier New less-than-11. So, the user has to exit the preview, set 10, preview, exit preview, try 9, preview...

I know that there is probably some sort of "Preview window standard" for Windows. So maybe, this just wouldn't be allowed. If it is allowed, having the Font selection on the Preview makes sense.

Regards,
Jim

EDIT: Added a second screen shot. This shows that the Preview dialog is still open although it is hidden behind SE due to the Windows error. I thought that might be helpful information. This lockup has occurred on both my laptop & desktop PCs.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 06:35:40 PM by JimmieC »

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 530
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 12:58:26 AM »
Can't tell exactly where you are when things lock up.

Can you post precise steps to reproduce a lock up? Does it matter what you print or preview?

JimmieC

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 01:42:38 PM »
Can't tell exactly where you are when things lock up.

Can you post precise steps to reproduce a lock up? Does it matter what you print or preview?

I haven't quite figured out a pattern but it happens relatively easily. I have attached a video of me dorking around with the printer setup and causing a crash. It is compressed a bunch to reduce the file size but it is legible.

I couldn't find a way to attach it via PM, so I'll go ahead and post it here. I've seen others complain that they couldn't attach PM as well.

Jim

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 530
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 08:05:58 PM »
Thanks for the video. This should help.