Author Topic: List all occurrences not found in new mini-find window  (Read 3545 times)

rowbearto

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 132
List all occurrences not found in new mini-find window
« on: July 29, 2016, 02:18:45 PM »
The large majority of most of my searches have "list all occurrences" enabled.

Now, in new version of SE, when I press Ctrl+F, I can't find in the new mini-find dialog a way to enable "list all occurrences"

It would be good to have a way to do "list all occurrences" from this new mini-window, and keep it as my default setting.

To get there with the beta1, instead of pressing Ctrl+F, I now need to hit more keys to get there, Ctrl+Shift+F, then click on "Find" tab to get the old dialog.

Also, is there a way to make Ctrl+F go back to the old dialog directly?

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 130
Re: List all occurrences not found in new mini-find window
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 02:40:38 PM »
You can list all occurrences from the mini-find, there are a couple of ways to use it in the new form.  There is a drop-down menu available with all the options not displayed on the form itself, you can access it clicking on the down arrow button on the first line (between Find Next button and the Close button) or using hotkey Alt+F to display.  All list occurrence features are under Find All sub-menu. 

You can also directly invoke a List All with a couple of hotkeys without going to the menu at all.  To List All Occurrences to Search<0> action, use Alt+0.  Same for Search<1>-Search<9> for Alt+1 - Alt+9.   You can use Alt+L to do a List All Occurrences using the last Search Results from the previous list all.  All of the hotkey assignments are labeled in the drop-down menu for all actions, or you can hover over the control to also see the hotkey.

If you prefer to use the Find and Replace tool window exclusively, there is an option to enable that in Tools > Options > Editing > Search | Additional options > Default Find and Replace GUI and change the setting from Mini to Tool Window.

Also, if you are in the Mini Find and want to go to the Tool Window, you can invoke Ctrl+F again and it will switch to the tool window.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 02:43:36 PM by Lee »

rowbearto

• Hero Points: 132
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 02:50:59 PM »
Thanks, I see it now. However, this requires to use the mouse every time. Previously, I could Press Ctrl+F, "list all occurrences" was already highlighted, and I put my search expression and press <ENTER>, no need for extra mouse movements.

But now with mini-find dialog, if I enter my search term and press <ENTER>, it does not list all occurrences. Instead, I need to use the mouse to choose the proper "list all occurrences" option every time.

Would be really nice if there was a way to change the mini-find dialog behavior so that when I press <ENTER> it will list all occurrences to an auto-incrementing search window. It is very annoying to need to use the mouse to do this on every search.

I am able to switch the default back to old find dialog, thanks for that. But the new mini-find looks interesting, and if there was a way to configure <ENTER> button to list all occurrences instead of always going to next item, I would want to try it out more.

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 210
  • Text
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 05:20:34 PM »
So the Search<0>...Search<n> have check-boxes.
Selecting them does the find-all - so they are command items not selection items -- they should not have checkmarks.