Author Topic: mini-find: ColorCoding Presets  (Read 3352 times)

jporkkahtc

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 210
  • Text
mini-find: ColorCoding Presets
« on: July 29, 2016, 05:26:10 PM »
Really nice sorta hidden feature here!

Please expose this in the main find window!
I've been wanting this for years.

I've even hacked "comment" and "String" into the main find dialog because I end up using those so often.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
Re: mini-find: ColorCoding Presets
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 05:59:29 PM »
What if we replaced the "..." button with the exact menu used by the mini-find dialog? Anyway, that's what we're thinking is the right change to make.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 08:21:44 PM by Clark »

jporkkahtc

• Text
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 10:06:19 PM »
Yeah, sounds about right.

I'd tweak the "Color Coding Search Options" dialog.
Instead of the "List Preset button", make it a dropdown control with the list - just like it is in the minifind window (less the Configure item at the end).
The delete functionality in that dialog is duplicated in the Options dialog - the other button changes between add/remove.

Maybe change the add/remove button to a checkbox control " [] Favorite "

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 12:59:53 AM »
Are you saying there should be the "..." button and a menu similar to the mini-find? I was thinking we replace the "..." button with the mini-find menu and not have both. Most of the time, the preconfigured items do the trick.

jporkkahtc

• Text
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 03:51:04 AM »
Yes, replace "..." to make it similar to mini-find.

But, there is still the "Configure Color Coding search" dialog accessible thru the mini-find drop down menu.
So, in that dialog instead of the "List Preset" dialog, replace the ListPresets button with a dropdown. That  extra dialog isn't needed for anything - as ColorCodingOptions lets you delete presets already.
The toggle add/remove button oughta be a checkbox too.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 02:29:18 PM »
I prefer the "list presets" button displaying a dialog for deleting presets than displaying a menu for deleting items. I stink at using the mouse. With a menu, I'm going to click on the wrong one sometimes. I guess we could prompt before delete. I'm still not a fan.

I realized you can already delete items on the Color Coding Search Options dialog but I'd prefer to delete presets by viewing the settings in a list (not a menu). I use the "Add preset" button to add one but I use "List Presets" to remove them. and not the "Remove preset" button.

jporkkahtc

• Text
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 04:33:55 AM »
So, you can't use the Menu as it appears in mini-find?

How often (as a real user, as opposed to testing out the feature) do you expect you will be adding / deleting items from this list?

I'd expect, that you might set at most 4 presets that you commonly use - and you are unlikely to ever delete them.

Changing the text of that button from Add Preset to Remove Preset: This is the hard way to implement what a checkbox already does.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 02:52:38 PM »
I think the plan will be to replace the "..." button with the mini-find menu for color coding.