Author Topic: Beta 2: Mini Find + Brief emulation  (Read 3908 times)

jc44

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 22
Beta 2: Mini Find + Brief emulation
« on: August 01, 2016, 01:35:42 PM »
1st - B2 find works much better than B1 - hurrah!

However the keystrokes to do find-next are now slightly different to what I am used to.  F5 brings up mini-find and I type what I want to find - so far so good.  However if I want to find-next I now have to hit <esc> followed by Shift-F5, previously it was <cr> Shift-F5.  Could <cr> terminate the mini-find dialog please? and/or Shift-f5 within it do find next?

Thanks

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
Re: Beta 2: Mini Find + Brief emulation
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 01:51:32 PM »
Good suggestion. You want an option to dismiss the mini-find dialog on Enter.

We will add this to our todo list.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 02:34:05 PM »
Do you want it to incremental search as you type? Just curious if we need an option for that.

For very large files, incremental searching and highlighting is automatically disabled.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 02:57:22 PM »
The search-again key binding will work when the mini-find dialog is up for beta 3.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 03:41:00 PM by Clark »

jc44

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 03:59:56 PM »
Brief emulation didn't incremental search previously but I can't see any way in which incremental search makes my life worse.  So as far as I am concerned the current (B2) behaviour is good.

Thanks

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 05:47:38 PM »
Changing how the Enter key works is more complicated than I thought. While it's easy to have the Enter key close the dialog after a find, it's complicated to change how Enter works for replace.

For replace, the close option would have to do a prompted replace. Sounds easy but the code is just not setup in a way to do this and handle all the options. It's doable but will take more time.

Not sure if we can pull this option off before we go gold.  However, you will be able to use Shift+F5 to do a find next if in Brief emulation while the mini find dialog has focus.

jc44

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 06:02:46 PM »
Thanks for looking. Shift+f5 in the box will help a lot

garion911

• Hero Points: 13
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 12:03:09 AM »
The new mini-find while in Brief irritated me to the point where I re-bound F5 to gui-find-modal, which seems to be the old dialog.

The other thing for me was the change the search and replace... I use F6, type my search, <tab> to the next field, which was the replace field, and if I wanted to replace everything, I would hit ctrl-A (option-A in my case on my mac). This was also changed in the beta... I rebound to "tool-gui-replace" to get my old behavior. The new mini-search/replace didn't seem happy with the tab, or hitting ctrl-A.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 03:07:23 AM »
Tab key got broken in beta 2. Sorry. For beta 3, the tab key will tab to the replace string. Shift+tab will go back to the find string.  We found this bug before your post.

We will look at the the binding for Alt-A (Option-A on Mac). I don't remember what it is off the top of my head. The intent is to make these the same as the big find dialog.

Please post a list of what you want mini-find to do when searching or replacing. This would be very helpful for us.  Thanks

garion911

• Hero Points: 13
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 07:01:27 AM »
For the mini-find, how I used the original find, was I would hit F5, type my search, hit enter. It would go to the first match from the cursor. Then I would use shift-F5 to go to the next match. I always have "wrap file" enabled also. Leaving the mini-find on the screen is ok (to me anyways)during find-next, if I can get this same behavior..

CTRL-A in the search/replace dialog was a shortcut for the "Replace All" button.. So F6, enter search, tab, enter replace, CTRL-A.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 01:29:15 PM »
For beta3, Shift+F5 will work (find-next for Brief), Tab from find string will go to replace string, and Shift+Tab from replace string will go back to find string.

I think you mean you uses Command+A for replace all on Mac. For beta3, we will use Command+A for replace all (we totally missed that one). Doing a replace all causes a Slick-C stack in beta 2. This is fixed for beta 3.

Don't rebind your keys to use the big tool window instead of the mini-find. This doesn't fix the menu items. Instead, set "Default Find and Replace GUI" to "Tool window" (Tools>Options>Editing>Search).

microcode

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 10
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 07:23:42 PM »
I use F4 for find-next rather than Shift+F5.  Any chance that will work in mini-find too?

I actually have both Shift+F5 and F4 mapped to find-next, but I prefer to use just one keypress rather than two.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 07:42:44 PM »
Looks like F4 conflicts with the combo box. We will see if we can get that one working.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 01:29:10 AM »
F4 will work if bound to find-next (and a few other bindings too) in beta 3.