Author Topic: B2: vusr[defs|data|keys] not migrated?  (Read 3334 times)

jnairb

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 11
B2: vusr[defs|data|keys] not migrated?
« on: August 01, 2016, 03:48:39 PM »
I installed beta 2 (didn't use beta 1) and it upgraded from my 20.0.3 settings. I noticed soon after that some of my key bindings weren't set and noticed that my 21.0.0 config directory doesn't have vusrdefs.e, vusrdata.e, or vusrkeys.e. (My 20.0.3 directory has all 3 and the vusrkeys.e there has the key bindings I'm missing.)

Am I just doing something wrong? Version upgrades seem to often be a painful process with SlickEdit. I've been using SlickEdit for years. Long ago I started using vusrmods to load my custom macros and then reload the defs. VS19, I finally re-sync'd my vusrmods with the default vusrmods and added the vusrkeys/data after they were split. Should I be doing something else that would make this process easier?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
Re: B2: vusr[defs|data|keys] not migrated?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 05:59:07 PM »
v21 doesn't store settings in vuserdefs.e, vusrdata.e, or vusrkeys.e any more. These settings are stored in user.cfg.xml now.

Please zip up your 2.0.3 directory and upload it. We don't need your vsdelta, tagfiles, or autosave directories.

To upload: Go to http://support.slickedit.com. Use 13623 (this topic id) for the case id.

Once it is uploaded, post here to let me know.

Note: The configuration code in v21 has between completely redone for all kinds of reasons.

Thanks

jnairb

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 06:11:05 PM »
I uploaded my 20.0.3 config directory files as vs20-config.zip.

Thanks.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 06:20:43 PM »
What are some settings that didn't transfer?

While we are look into this, try the following:

Exit SlickEdit v21 beta 2
Delete the 21.0.0 config directory
Start SlickEdit v21 beta 2 as administrator. This allows some macros files to be compiled

The above steps may fix the problems with the configuration not transferring. We ran into a weird date issue with beta 2. We've fixed this for beta 3.

jnairb

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 06:37:17 PM »
Key bindings that I've noticed:
F9 - prompt-load (user command since it was deleted from VS brief emulation many releases ago)
Alt-Shift-C - cmvc-checkin-or-out
Alt-F - find-cmvc-file
Possibly all key bindings for my user commands/macros.

I'm running on Windows 7 with an administrator account (and UAC off), so I didn't expect run as administrator to make a difference, but I tried it and I'm still missing at least those key bindings.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 08:00:10 PM »
Looks like we didn't take into account users who use vusrmods to load modules. For beta3, we need to copy your vusrdefs.e and vusrkeys.e files so you can run your vusrmods.e to transfer your add on macros and bindings for the add on macros.

As a work around, copy vusrdefs.e and vusrkeys.e from your 20.0.3 directory into the 21.0.0 directory.

From the SlickEdit command line run vusrmods:  xcom "C:\Users\cmaurer\Documents\My SlickEdit Config\21.0.0\vusrmods"

That should take care of loading your macros and binding the additional keys.

jnairb

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 08:10:30 PM »
Copying the vusrkeys.e and vusrdefs.e does seem to have worked.

Should I have started loading my user macros through the Macro/List User-Loaded Macros dialog at some point?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 10:00:36 PM »
Usually the def_macfiles macro variable contains the macros you've loaded.

Yours was blank.

I'm going to look into a better solution which wouldn't require your vusrkeys.e to be copied to 21.0.0. I'll let you know what we come up with.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 01:17:02 AM »
For beta 3. There will be a better way. You won't need vusrkeys.e, vusrdata.e, or vusrdefs.e. The only problem you ran into was key bindings. What we decided to do is allow commands which don't have any code attached to them yet be defined anyway. This lets you load your macro modules later without having to worry about losing key bindings if the the configuration is saved before your macros have been loaded.