Author Topic: Populating the "Search For" field in big find  (Read 978 times)

jporkkahtc

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 184
  • Text
Populating the "Search For" field in big find
« on: August 09, 2016, 09:14:21 pm »
InitSearchString: History retrieval
SelectedText (If exists): ON
Default F&R: Tool Window

Open big find a search for "text".
Clear any selection.
Open big find again, and SearchFor == "text"
OK.

Clear any selection.
Open big find again, enter "abc" in SearchFor but do *not* search.
Alt-Tab to some other app, and Alt-tab back to Slick.
Find no longer has keyboard focus but remains open with "abc" in the search field.
Ctrl+F to open Find.
Bug/Annoyance: SearchFor is reset to "text" - wiping out my progress in entering a new search string. SearchFor shouldn't get re-initialized in this case because the Find dialog is already open.
Returning to the Find dialog using the mouse to click on it doesn't do this either.

Mini-find doesn't have this problem (even when you click in a buffer to move the focus to the editor, then Ctrl+F to return to mini-find).

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 425
Re: Populating the "Search For" field in big find
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 10:01:12 pm »
First I tried Windows 10 and couldn't reproduce this. Then I tried Windows 7 and alt-tabbing back to SlickEdit doesn't restore focus to the "Search for:" field.  This isn't fixable. Window managers do whatever they want. Trying to fight the window manager is typically a very bad idea and only makes your application unreliable. Just be thankful you're on Windows. Unix windows managers are a joke and there are no standards.

The only work around is to use the mouse to manually put focus in the "Search for" field.

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 184
  • Text
Re: Populating the "Search For" field in big find
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 10:23:31 pm »
Here, I was complaining more about the SearchFor field being overwritten, not focus.
The other thread I started was to complain about focus and navigation.

Using the only available keyboard navigation to get back to Find causes Slick to overwrite SearchFor when it shouldn't.

WRT Win10: Thats interesting -- I just tried it there as well.

To repro the problem on Win10, you may have to click in a buffer in Slick, then try to return to the Find with with the keyboard.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 10:25:46 pm by jporkkahtc »