Author Topic: b3 diffzilla always starting at end of file  (Read 3989 times)

b

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 26
b3 diffzilla always starting at end of file
« on: August 17, 2016, 05:18:17 PM »
I've noticed with diffzilla that it appears that files, when diff'd, it places the cursor at the end of the file.  This is annoying as the end of the file is not intuitive where before I believe it positioned at the first diff in the file. 

Moreover, if there is a single diff in the file and it isn't within view (cursor at the end of the file with the actual diff somewhere earlier in the file), Next Diff / Prev Diff just wants to close the window rather than moving the cursor to the actual location of the diff.   I must hunt for it to actually find the diff (via preview map).

I've tried execution via several means, all of them starting me at the end of the file with changes (e.g., indirectly from SE, or directly via vsdiff).   

Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS (x86_64)

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
Re: b3 diffzilla always starting at end of file
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 05:44:53 PM »
Hm, I'll look into this.  I haven't seen it so far, and we use DIFFzilla a lot in our day to day work.

If you're at the bottom, Next Diff will prompt to close the window (actually there is an option for this), but as a work around you could jump to the top of the file and use Next Diff.

TKasparek

• Hero Points: 29
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 06:03:39 PM »
I caught this once today as well. Win10:AUx64
Mine was launched from SVN. Relaunching brought me to proper location.
The first time showed a diff at the last line while that wasn't there in the relaunch.

b

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 09:38:20 PM »
Normally, I use Diffzilla a lot as well, thus the reason I was puzzled by the change.

I saw similar things when trying to use it via git

My git config hasn't changed in as long as I've used SE with it:

[difftool "vsdiff"]
   cmd = vsdiff -r2 "$BASE" "$LOCAL" "$REMOTE" "$MERGED"

Tried it again from the command line:

vsdiff  kernel/linux-3.18/arch/arm/configs/ast2500_defconfig ~/kernel.config

(has about 60 changes and I'm left at the last line of the file).

Ctrl-Home and then I can use it normally--but it is still annoying that I have to tell it *every time* to start from the beginning of the file.

Side note, launched SE with the files from the command line to see if there was any cruft telling it my last file position and both files opened at the top (since I hadn't opened them with SE yet).   With SE open to both files with cursors at the top, tried running vsdiff, again, from the command line and it went straight to the last line of the file as its starting position.   I've yet to get Diffzilla to start at the top, let alone the first diff with b3.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 12:25:01 PM »
vsdiff only takes 2 filenames... so I wonder what effect the other items could be having on it.

b

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 04:33:27 PM »
I would presume that it would ignore the superfluous entries.
Changing it to has no effect out the bug (it still goes to the end of the file):

Code: [Select]
[difftool "vsdiff"]
   cmd = vsdiff -r2 "$BASE" "$LOCAL"

Regardless, as shown with my second direct command line example with only two files, it still does it every time.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 03:46:07 PM »
And it's doing this if you run the diff from inside SlickEdit too?

b

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 05:04:54 PM »
I rarely use Diffzilla via SE except via version control menu (way too much point and click work to get it set up when I can just type the parameters on the command line).

However, I went through the dialogue set up to diff from within SE of the two files (not directories) and it worked properly.   Checking all the other means I had already tried (git difftool, vsdiff, and version control diff against most up to date), now appear to work correctly.   So I wondered if there was some configuration with the new beta that wasn't set that was triggered on the first time executed via SE.

On this hunch, I restored my old 20.0.3 installation (~/slickedit & ~/.slickedit).   Reinstalled beta3 on top of my installation and reproduced the problem the first time (running vsdiff from the command line).  So it *appears* that if you don't run Diffzilla from within SE via the File Difference menu at least once, it will always jump to the end of the file.   Note, as I mentioned in prior posts, that running Diffzilla via Version Control -> <whatever> reproduces this problem as well.  It appears to clear up specifically after launching it via File Difference.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 06:21:09 PM »
We have your 20.0.3 config here, so I'll try it out.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 06:45:53 PM »
Reproduced.  This should be interesting.  Thanks for taking the extra steps to try this with your 20.0.3 config!

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2016, 08:19:49 PM »
This fixed for beta 4.

b

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 11:08:55 PM »