Author Topic: SE 19.0.2.5 Problem with CTRL+SHIFT+V  (Read 2735 times)

Dswag89

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 4
SE 19.0.2.5 Problem with CTRL+SHIFT+V
« on: August 17, 2016, 07:24:57 PM »
I'm using a somewhat dated version of SlickEdit, but am hoping my problem is a configuration issue that somebody has already run across.  ).  The problem is, I regularly use “CTRL+SHIFT+V” to paste from the Clipboards list.  With this version, when I use the arrow keys to go down and select what I want to paste and hit <ENTER>, it does not actually paste into my source file.  It does, however, move what I’ve selected to the top of the paste buffer so that the next time I hit CTRL+V, it does paste what I want to paste.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 526
Re: SE 19.0.2.5 Problem with CTRL+SHIFT+V
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 09:53:03 PM »
Try reloading clipbd.e (Macro>Load Module...). This will clear out the clipboards. It sounds like they went bad some how.

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 210
  • Text
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 11:59:56 PM »
This happens in V21 beta as well - once in a while.

I don't have repro steps, but occasionally I will Ctrl+Shift+V, pick something and enter - nothing happens.
Then, Ctrl+V and it pastes what I had selected.

I don't have to clear the clipboards - it usually won't repro when I try again.

Dswag89

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 4
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 11:20:05 AM »
Clark, thanks for the tip.  Reloading clipbd.e worked (2-minute testing).  I'll be interested to see if it ever breaks again (hope not).

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 12:24:57 PM »
We haven't been able to track down how the clipboards go bad. In a few places v21 attempts to check for obvious issues and clear the clipboards automatically ( _clipboard_validate_all() ). So far, whenever paste doesn't work, clearing the clipboards fixes the problem.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 02:04:04 AM »
This happens in V21 beta as well - once in a while.

I don't have repro steps, but occasionally I will Ctrl+Shift+V, pick something and enter - nothing happens.
Then, Ctrl+V and it pastes what I had selected.

I don't have to clear the clipboards - it usually won't repro when I try again.
I seem to have hit a different more rare problem (in v21 but have seen it in earlier versions). What I hit was clearly different. Because I was running a debug version of SlickEdit, Qt displayed an error messaged that it failed to copy the data to the system clipboard (very different wording but means the same thing). Even though SlickEdit maintains internal clipboards, it has to verify things with the system clipboards. Paste always fails when SlickEdit fails to copy the data to the system clipboard.

In this case, the system clipboard (not the internal clipboards) got corrupted. I don't know how though.

I didn't end up needing to reboot. But for a while, my clipboards would fail to copy almost every other try (Ctrl+C would fail almost every other time). I don't know what made the system clipboard suddenly become reliable.