Author Topic: B3: Crash sometimes...  (Read 2149 times)

jc44

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 22
B3: Crash sometimes...
« on: August 18, 2016, 10:13:24 AM »
B3 Win 10 x86 Brief emulation: B3 crashes sometimes; hardly a helpful error report I know, but it happened 4 times yesterday.  No obvious crash dump, but if there is an inobvious crash dump somewhere I'll happily send it to you.

The common symptoms: editing a C++ file; actively typing (?? maybe in class function header, but I'm not sure ??); when SE is restarted the document type is now "plaintext".

Sorry I don't have more.  I didn't see this in B2 (and never in SE 20) but I've been doing a lot more code creation (i.e. typing) with B3 than I did with B2 so if that is a trigger then B3 has been stressed a lot more.

Thanks

JC

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
Re: B3: Crash sometimes...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 01:20:15 PM »
There is a bug fixed for beta 4 having to do with files being restored in Plain Text mode. It's easiest to reproduce with some AutoSave scenarios. Restoring from and AutoSave always restores files in Plain Text mode in beta 3. I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with the crash though.

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 210
  • Text
Re: B3: Crash sometimes...
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 10:10:30 PM »

I had been having a problem where Just In Time debugging wasn't working -- whenever anything crashed it just silently failed.
Very annoying - it wouldn't give me a chance to catch it in the debugger.
I found a regkey on my machine had been modified to cause this - I've no idea how it was set incorrectly.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\
  DontShowUI == 1
Was preventing windows from asking what to do on a crash.

Change it to 0 and now windows prompts when a process crashes.

You may find that you have the automatically generated dumps in
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER

For example:

C:\Users\joe\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_vs.exe_86a1955fb47443444074829832a4da4018c0a443_cab_0ef9e551\WERE4C8.tmp.mdmp

So, you may be able to submit the dumps from those VS crashes.