Author Topic: B3: Freeze or nothing when doing "Close other document tabs" while building  (Read 3323 times)

rowbearto

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 132
Hi:

Sometimes I have a long build running in the process buffer, and I also have that process buffer as a full window/tab. I have many buffers/tabs there and I want to do a little cleanup and I right click on the tab of 1 of the buffers (not the process buffer) and choose "Close other document tabs".

A few times, this has caused SE to freeze. I've noticed that it tries to exit the build running in the build window, but I do not want it to do that. I would like the build to keep running. Other times I get a popup saying that I have to exit the build manually - but I never wanted it to exit in the first place. After I get that popup, if I try"Close other document tabs" again, it does not close the other document tabs, and does nothing.

I've had this experience in Linux, didn't try it in Windows.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
Fixed for beta 4.

Change allows process buffer to be hidden even if a process is still running. The process buffer only must be terminated when exiting.

Also added a timeout of ~5 seconds when attempting to end the process.

This timeout could be better though. This timeout should prompt the user whether to force exit (kill the process). This one has bugged me for a while. If we have time, we will add this too.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
Improved the timeout to prompt whether to Force terminate the processes in the build window. Yay!

Also, the "fexit" command ("force exit") will automatically force terminate the processes in the build window. This is really an advanced user command. It's intentional an unsafe exit. No files are saved. No prompting to save files. Config isn't saved. Can be used to test AutoSave without killing SlickEdit. Can be used so that the config isn't saved but be careful since it doesn't prompt to save files. Can be used to bypass normal exit which may be needed if SlickEdit is in a very bad state and can't complete the normal exit process.

rowbearto

Thanks Clark!

rowbearto

Re: B3: Freeze or nothing when doing "Close other document tabs" while building
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 07:46:43 PM »
With RC3, the behavior is not so desirable to me.

I have a build ongoing, and I did "Close other document tabs" in windows.

After a short time, it asked me to force terminate the build, to which I answered no.

The build is still going, but the other document tabs are still there.

When I try again (repeatedly) to close other document tabs, nothing happens, no prompt to force terminate, and other document tabs do not close.

The desirable behavior is that when I close other document tabs while the build is ongoing, that I am not prompted to terminate my build, my build keeps going, and the other tabs close.