Author Topic: Files file history  (Read 1977 times)

jporkkahtc

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 210
  • Text
Files file history
« on: August 24, 2016, 07:02:56 PM »

The history in the File menu is being messed with by opening and closing a workspace.

I started a clean Slick configuration - new config, no old settings imported at all.
I have almost all default options

I created a new workspace.
I opened FILE1 in the workspace.
I closed the workspace.
I opened FILE2
That file shows up in File History
I reopened the workspace.

FILE2 is not in the File menu history anymore.

This is not  100% repro.

Another variation I saw, but I have not reproed:
I created a new workspace, with wildcard recursive directory.

Later, I noticed that the File menu history was populated all with files from that project - even though I had only opened at most 2-3 files.
It also lost history of files as described above.
At first I thought that it lost those because they got pushed off the end of history, but in my repro attempt above, this is clearly not the case because there are only 1 or 2 files in the File menu history.

The VPWHIST file in this case has "FILEHIST: 9". Many of the files in this history I did not open - just added to the project.

Q1: Is FileHistory supposed to be a per-workspace thing?
Q2: If so, where is FileHistory kept for the non-workspace loaded scenario?
Q3: And, why is the workspaces FileHistory still there after closing the workspace?

If Q1 is yes, then the first case above I think is as expected, but this doesn't explain the case where FileHistory was populated with a bunch of files from the project I had never actually loaded. (and, I can't repro at the moment).

Another problem: The setting Tools > Options > File Options > History -> "Show file history verbosely"
doesn't seem to do anything ... the File menu history looks the same either way.

Dennis

• Hero Points: 515
Re: Files file history
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 11:34:44 PM »
The verbose option requires a restart to take effect.  I'll add some code so that the options dialog notifies you about that.

The difference is subtle, with verbose turned off, it doesn't show the file name twice on the line, which makes more room for the file path.

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 210
  • Text
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 05:50:17 PM »
If you are looking for options to cut for simplification, this seems like a good candidate :-) I don't think anyone would miss it if it was removed and the behavior was simply non-verbose. This is consistent with other lists in Slick that split the filename from the path.

WRT restart: Changing file HistorySize doesn't take effect until restart either - well, as least making it smaller doesn't.

New Feature Idea: In the "Items" list of history add a checkbox for "PIN" - that item won't ever get deleted and doesn't count towards the HistorySize limit. (Should pinned files always stay at the top of the list? Yeah, probably. You might also need to allow reordering).

Dennis

• Hero Points: 515
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 06:00:14 PM »
I would agree, I implemented the non-verbose option, however, some users are very particular about things working exactly the way they did before, thus the option (and the fact that the option is off by default).

True about history size, though I don' think it matters as much.

Pinning history is a good idea.  I'll file a feature request.