Author Topic: b4 -- Find and Replace window always docks after upgrade  (Read 3088 times)

b

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 26
b4 -- Find and Replace window always docks after upgrade
« on: August 30, 2016, 05:43:49 PM »
This is an old issue that just keeps annoying me.  After performing an upgrade, if I bring up the full find and replace (which I have assigned to a hotkey), it always is docked.   I drag it so it floats, but after the next upgrade, it will be docked again.   Can this setting be preserved across upgrades?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
Re: b4 -- Find and Replace window always docks after upgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 06:52:05 PM »
I have your 20.0.3 config. I just tried running beta 4 starting with your 20.0.3 config. When I run the tool_gui_find command, it displays the Find and Replace Tool Window floating. Maybe you have a workspace where you had it docked? Tool window settings are per workspace. So if you undock it in workspace A but you had it docked in workspace B. Changing A doesn't effect B.

b

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 07:04:02 PM »
No, I hate it docked.   

Where is this configuration is squirreled away for each work space?   I'd assumed that if I started from work space A that has settings I like and make work space B, that it would inherit whatever my current settings were (which is what I have been doing).  I've opened this work space before and not had it docked, but it showed up as such after the upgrade.  So is there some place where this setting is hiding that I can just globally update all of the work spaces to have the same setting?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 08:43:13 PM »
If you create a new workspace, it inherits the current tool window layout. The settings are stored as part of the workspace auto-restore settings (.vpwhist or .vpwhistu).

I tried many tests and can't reproduce this. Tried migrating from 20.0.3 and also from beta 3.

If it lost your settings, I would expect this tool window to be floating and not dockable which is the default setting.

We definitely need the magic steps to reproduce this.

b

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 04:19:28 PM »
If you create a new workspace, it inherits the current tool window layout. The settings are stored as part of the workspace auto-restore settings (.vpwhist or .vpwhistu).

I tried many tests and can't reproduce this. Tried migrating from 20.0.3 and also from beta 3.

If it lost your settings, I would expect this tool window to be floating and not dockable which is the default setting.

We definitely need the magic steps to reproduce this.

I'll keep a note of this and see if I can pursue this more actively (rather just after doing an upgrade).