Author Topic: b4: Find-in-Files file types  (Read 980 times)

Marcel

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 26
b4: Find-in-Files file types
« on: September 04, 2016, 04:05:50 am »
I am constantly fighting with the FiF file types. When my search scope is a project, I would like to have a specific user-configured set of FiF filetypes tied to that project, with a default that roughly corresponds to the type of project I'm working on.

Here is one of my use-cases:
  • Working on a C# project, the file types needs to be *.cs and whatever else I may have manually added, e.g. *.xml
  • Switching over to a C++ project, the file types should be the littany of C++ related files, again augmented with my own additions
Swapping out the file types should be automatic.  With the current implementation, I have to remember to modify the list every time I'm doing a search, and quite often forget to do it, with dangerous consequences.  The F7/F8 stacks are a poor substitute and often get jumbled (Find/Replace settings end up in Find and vice-versa).

Ideally, I would like to have named sets of FiF settings (Look in, File Types, Exclude) which I can tie to a project, to cover for cases where I want to start a search in a different place of the project, or have a lot of excludes.

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 325
Re: b4: Find-in-Files file types
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 07:02:16 am »
For workspace and project searches, how about searching with file types set to *.* and exclude types set to all the file types you never want to search in, across all projects.