Author Topic: Slickedit hangs with Add Files...  (Read 7810 times)

Wanderer

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 23
Slickedit hangs with Add Files...
« on: April 10, 2007, 01:28:03 pm »
SlickEdit v 12, WinXP sp2.

Right-click on my project in the project toolbar, select Add Files...  Navigate down into one folder, then another.  Five minutes later, I'm still waiting for the "Add Source Files (Not Responding)" dialog to come back to life...

This is the second time today this has happened; the first time was from File->Open.  Probably time to backup then kill vslick.sta...

Update:  Killed SlickEdit with Task Manager.  Restarted.  Blank window for over a minute.  Some document windows start to appear.  Hung (unless I need to wait longer than 5 minutes for SlickEdit to start).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 01:34:07 pm by Wanderer »

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 146
Re: Slickedit hangs with Add Files...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 01:39:13 pm »
Do you remember if you had any remote files open?  Especially ones that SlickEdit might not be able to access now (because the share is gone or for some other reason).

Was the folder you clicked on a network drive?

Dan

Wanderer

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 02:01:04 pm »
Do you remember if you had any remote files open?  Especially ones that SlickEdit might not be able to access now (because the share is gone or for some other reason).

Was the folder you clicked on a network drive?

No to both -- no remote files, local drive only.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 02:05:08 pm »
Do you have "Windows 3.1 style open dialog" turned on?

Do you have this problem if performing File>Open and navigating to the same directory?

Are there project files in this directory?

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 02:18:26 pm »
This is the second time today this has happened; the first time was from File->Open.

Just caught this part.  Is it always one directory?

Wanderer

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 03:17:53 pm »
Do you have "Windows 3.1 style open dialog" turned on?
No.
Do you have this problem if performing File>Open and navigating to the same directory?
I don't remember if it was the same directory that sent Add Files... and File Open... south.
Are there project files in this directory?
In the Add Files... case, I know there were no project (.vpj, .vpw) file in the current dir, nor the dir I was trying to get to.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 03:45:53 pm »

In the Add Files... case, I know there were no project (.vpj, .vpw) file in the current dir, nor the dir I was trying to get to.

I actually meant files that are in the project.  There is a callback for that dialog that removes the files already in the project.  So this would explain some delay in the Add Files case (but not the File Open case).

Wanderer

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 04:59:45 pm »

I actually meant files that are in the project.  There is a callback for that dialog that removes the files already in the project.  So this would explain some delay in the Add Files case (but not the File Open case).
I see.  Yes, I was drilling down through a folder that had files in the project.

Just now:
Tools->Options->Color Coding->Get...  (as in "Get file with keywords") -- hung.
No other app on my computer seems to be having this problem.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 05:59:59 pm »
This sounds like some sort of general problem with the Open File dialog, which is only specialized in the project case.  Could you try turning on the Win 3.1 style open dialog for a bit and see if this eliminates the problem?  This way we can actually link the problem to the dialog itself.  It is on the "More" tab of the general configuration dialog (Tools>Options>General).