Author Topic: Default key mappings  (Read 3176 times)

jporkkahtc

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 210
  • Text
Default key mappings
« on: September 12, 2016, 08:24:58 PM »
I want to bind a command to a key and ran into the usual dilemma - which key ?!?

This led me to discover/realize an oddity about Ctrl+Shift+8 - most Ctrl+<Digit> and Ctrl+Shift+<Digit> keys are mapped to bookmarking, but this one is mapped to view-specialcharacators-toggle.

The curious thing though is that this doesn't show up anywhere -- it doesn't seem to have a "def" entry in any of the *.e or *.sh files, and it doesn't show up when I export key mappings - and it isn't in the keycharts in ProgramFiles\Slick\Docs\*.pdf.

Where are the definitions for keymappings for the various emulations?

Interestingly, exporting keymappings exports almost nothing on a default setup (good feature - if slightly annoying in this case).

"Save Chart" seems to export everything.
It would be nice if "Save Chart" would indicate which mappings are default and which are customized.

Feature request: Slick should suggest a good mapping for commands which don't yet have mappings so I don't have to try to figure one out that makes sense.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
Re: Default key mappings
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 09:47:51 PM »
Default emulation mappings are in <installation-dir>/plugins/com_slickedit.base.zip/com_slickedit.base/eventtab_profiles/eventtab_profiles.emulation-*

Note: If you search for a specific key binding (like C-1), you might not find it since there are range bindings.

For example,             
Code: [Select]
<p n="'C-0'-'C-9'" v="alt-bookmark"/>

There would be a major problem if the code didn't do ranges like this. In some cases, there are boat loads of keys being bound.

Dennis

• Hero Points: 515
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 09:51:28 PM »
This is not exactly what you are looking for, but I put in the "what-are" command years ago so that you could try different keys until you found something that wasn't mapped somewhere.  Just run "what-are" from the command line and start hitting key combos until you get something that is not mapped.  Note, it does not work with emacs-style multi-key sequences.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 10:09:11 PM »
Interesting idea

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 12:47:44 PM »
You could try this - it displays all your keybindings in groups.

https://community.slickedit.com/index.php/topic,5461.0.html

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 210
  • Text
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 02:45:29 PM »
Thanks.