Author Topic: VC8 projects  (Read 7287 times)

steven11

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
VC8 projects
« on: July 17, 2006, 09:09:35 PM »
Hi,
isn't it possible to move a file in a VC8 project into another folder in the project? I also tried to remove a file from the project - doesn't work,
the menu item is grayed. The .vcproj-file isn't read-only - I can add new files but they're added on the top level folder when I do a "New
item from template..."

Thanks,
mfg Steven

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 44
Re: VC8 projects
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 05:38:45 AM »
Sorry, but a lot of the advanced organization features for VS2005 projects just aren't supported yet. Rather than take the chance of ripping the project file to pieces, we decided to disable some of the hierarchy editing features. We were able to sneak in support for reading the new "virtual sub-folder" structure of the top-level solution items folder, as well as some support for the new website solutions that don't actually have any project files in them. But VS2005's new freewheeling organization architecture breaks quite a few of the rules and assumptions that have been made over the years.
So that being said, what features of the new structure are you taking advantage of? We certainly can't get everything in, but it would help us to know what features should go on top of the stack.

steven11

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 10:03:59 AM »
Hi Matthew,
thanks for your response.

What I really need is this:
- move files around. Can be from one virtual folder to another or between different projects
- remove files from a project
- (neat, but not necessary) "New Item from template..." in the Contextmenu when you click on a virtual folder. By default, "Add to project" is then enabled and the items
are inserted into the selected virtual folder so I don't have to move it manually to this folder (atm new files from templates are automatically added to the "source" and
"header" folders)

The first two issues are KO-features for me which prevent me from using SlickEdit. atm I'm working as a freelancer in a project team where we use VC8 => we are working
only on VC-projects. It would just be too impractical to switch all the time to Visual Studio for such simple things like moving a file around in the project's folder hierarchy.

What is also very important to me is integration of the VC Debugger. Is that possible? I could live without this feature, but I think it would be a top-feature for SlickEdit and
improve the productivity of many developers.

BTW it would be cool if you had a list of the planned features for the next version somewhere

mfg Steven

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 292
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 11:23:44 AM »
Fully ACK !
Compiler / Linker Flag settings are also appreciated.
HS2