Author Topic: Don't search hidden text not working with find in files  (Read 2720 times)

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 347
Don't search hidden text not working with find in files
« on: September 21, 2016, 10:24:40 AM »
With selective display hiding lines of text based on preprocessor defines, "find in files" is searching hidden lines even though I have it configured not to in my settings.  Macro recording shows the call to mffind does not have "H" in the options - as expected.  Using the find tab of the find replace dialog and searching the current buffer gives the correct result.  Using the find tab to search all buffers gives a mixture of correct and incorrect results  - or at least, the first buffer searched is correct, the rest are probably wrong.  Using the find in files tab and searching just the current buffer gives the wrong result.  Using RC2.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 10:33:02 AM by Graeme »

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
Re: Don't search hidden text not working with find in files
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 01:20:29 PM »
We are going try to change this so it's consistent. Previously, this would always exclude hidden lines (never was configurable). Since the new super fast multi-file searching doesn't support hidden lines (doesn't even know which lines are hidden), we're going to try to change the code to just always search hidden lines.

Buffers that are already loaded, get processed differently than files that aren't loaded in the editor. That's one of the inconsistencies your seeing.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 03:50:52 PM by Clark »

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 210
  • Text
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 06:20:11 PM »
Does FiF work correctly if you check "foreground search" ?

oh ... "Hidden text" option isn't even in the dialog for FiF or RiF.
So certainly, always searching hidden text in these cases is what the user ought to expect.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 06:21:44 PM by jporkkahtc »

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 09:48:07 PM »
We are going try to change this so it's consistent. Previously, this would always exclude hidden lines (never was configurable). Since the new super fast multi-file searching doesn't support hidden lines (doesn't even know which lines are hidden), we're going to try to change the code to just always search hidden lines.

Buffers that are already loaded, get processed differently than files that aren't loaded in the editor. That's one of the inconsistencies your seeing.

It's not the inconsistency that's the problem.  It's the fact that FIF doesn't work for buffers already loaded in the editor with selective display active.  I merely reported the behaviour to help you find the problem.  I would prefer inconsistency to no capability at all.