Author Topic: RC3: Backup History Browser Hang  (Read 2445 times)

jporkkahtc

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 210
  • Text
RC3: Backup History Browser Hang
« on: September 26, 2016, 06:13:03 PM »
So I've got a bunch of stuff in backup history.
I opened BackupHistoryBrowser.
I went to the oldest entry out of curiosity and clicked.
Slick hangs.

Seems to hang for any of the files I've tried with really old dates like this.

The problem appears to be that I've got a bunch of UNC files in history, and whenever you click a file in the top pane Slick appears to attempt to access many of the files in history - mostly those visible in the lower pane.

The lower pane gets sorted, with "\\server\share" UNC Paths on top - so this ordering makes the problem so much the worse.

For files on network shares that are not accessible - yet slick attempts to access each, and has to wait for the timeout. This makes Slick hang for a *very* long time - totally unresponsive.

Slick doesn't learn from failure and will attempt to access the same shares, hosts and files over and over again - each time resulting in more hang time.

Slick should refrain from accessing *any* of these files simply when filling in the lower pane - it should have all the information it needs in the vsdelta folder.
Looks like Slick is looking so it can pick a deleted icon to display in the lower pane?

If accessing these files is really necessary, then it should be done on a thread. Accessing files on a share - even when it works can be realllllly slow.

If not a thread, then at least don't try to access network shares - or have it cache the errors so it won't continually retry those same broken shares.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
Re: RC3: Backup History Browser Hang
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 06:26:17 PM »
Let me look into this.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
Re: RC3: Backup History Browser Hang
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 04:10:18 PM »
This will be fixed for RC4.  We will lose the bitmaps that show you if a path for filename no longer exist locally, but that's OK.  I'm also adding a prompt so that if you try to restore a file to path that isn't accessible it will prompt you where to save it.