Author Topic: help with help on help system  (Read 4120 times)

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 347
help with help on help system
« on: October 01, 2016, 10:42:54 PM »
The help doesn't seem to have any help for the help system.

Well, actually, I was trying it out and had some problems. 

Bookmarks won't let me create any new top level folders - I'm stuck with toolbarMenu and bookmarksMenu and I can't remove them.
Somehow I created a bunch of tabs at the top of the content pane but I don't know how.
What does the "open pages" window show?
What does the "synch with table of contents" button do (it doesn't seem to work)?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
Re: help with help on help system
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 01:57:00 AM »
It doesn't look like the bookmarks tool window folders are configurable.

"Somehow I created a bunch of tabs at the top of the content pane but I don't know how." Please post a picture of this. I don't understand what you're talking about.

The "Open Pages" tool window allows you to switch between multiple tabs (it's a slightly unusually Multi-document interface-- Document tabs not visible -- Document tabs visible in "Open Pages tool window). Del key or Ctrl+F4 removes the tabs.

"Sync with table of contents" is handy. When you click on a hyper text link, choose the "Sync with table of contents" menu item to have the closest table contents item selected (closest to page being viewed). This is happens immediately (it's not a mode which is turned on/off).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 02:05:04 AM by Clark »

Graeme

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 02:51:40 AM »
I've discovered that the "toolbar menu" in the bookmarks window lets you create a bunch of stuff that appears on a toolbar that you can see by going view -> toolbars -> bookmarks toolbar.  The looked to me like tabs at the top of the content pane.  Bookmarks menu in the bookmarks window lets you create stuff that appears when you click "bookmarks" in the main menu.

To see tabs for the pages in the "open pages" window you have go preferences -> options -> show tabs for individual pages - seems to default to off.

I don't understand your explanation about "synch with table of contents" menu item".  What is a ""Sync with table of contents" menu item" ?  Can you list the exact steps that show how "synch" works?

Graeme

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 02:59:29 AM »
Every time I click the synch button on the toolbar it shows a message on the status bar "could not find the associated content item".

Graeme

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 12:12:33 PM »
Synch works sometimes.  I haven't figured out what makes it stop working.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 12:24:13 PM »
I knew you could add/delete boomarks. Didn't know about the show document tabs option.

The "Sync with table of contents" seems to work for me. After you click on a hypertext link, your place in the table of contents is no longer the table of contents item closest to the help page being displayed. The "Sync with table of contents" is supposed to select the table of contents item closest to the help page being displayed. That way, you can see the table of contents for that area of the help document.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 12:29:41 PM by Clark »

Graeme

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 11:49:51 AM »
I can sort of tell you maybe how to reproduce the synch problem.  Make the bookmarks toolbar visible at the top of the window with 3 or 4 pages bookmarked.  Make open tabs visible - also at the top of the window.  Click on a hyper-link and select open in new page.  Click the synch button  - it works.  Now click one of the tabs on the bookmark toolbar.  Click the synch button  - it doesn't work and the message on the status bar is "could not find the associated content item".  Click on a hyper-link and select open in new page.  Click the synch button  - it works again.

This might not repro for you.  There's a possibility that the problem is something to do with the fact that the tabs on my bookmarks toolbar are mostly pointing at "halfway down a page" instead of at the top of a page.  I'd been testing to see that the bookmarks take you to the correct position on a page instead of always to the top of the page.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 12:20:05 PM »
I can make the problem happen. The easiest way to make it happen is to go to the index and choose an API function like "insert_line". Maybe it's having to search to do the sync and limits how much searching it will do. Just a guess. The system is Qt program that we didn't write.

Graeme

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 12:56:15 PM »
No problem.  It's still a lot better than the old chm help.