Author Topic: File open dialog issue  (Read 1130 times)

jc44

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 13
File open dialog issue
« on: October 04, 2016, 12:00:48 pm »
RC4 x64 win 10 brief: I want to open a file called "t" that lives in y:\rpi. In y:\rpi there is a directory called "test".  All files & dirs in y:\rpi are outside my project.  I have a large project with >5000 files which have "t" in the name.

Using the Alt-E file open dialog I navigate to y:\rpi and type "t" into the file name box. "test" is highlit & if I hit return then I go to test.  As I have >5000 files with t in the name the file I want isn't in the list so I can't even click on it (as it happens the list ends in the Cs).  Whilst I can see how this is trying to be "helpful", I do feel that if I have the correct dir and the complete file name then that should be what is opened when I hit return.

I am aware that I can get out of this by using the classic file open dialog but it just seems wrong that I should need to. (There is AFAIK no-way of opening the file I want from the "smart" dialog)

Thanks

JC

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 371
Re: File open dialog issue
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 02:48:34 pm »
Try typing "t*.". That will limit the search to file names ending with t that have no extension.

If you have many one letter filenames, you might want to configure the matching to do a prefix match (Non wildcard name match style -- Recursive prefix matching). This is very configurable.

jc44

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 03:04:55 pm »
Thanks for that - not a solution I thought of (the * in particular). In general this isn't a problem; I just had a trivially named log file I wanted to look at. 

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 03:06:02 pm »
Seems like the truncating algorithm should be improved. It maybe be a good idea to include exact matches even if the list is truncated.

Actually, this doesn't help much due to the fact that the first item in the list get selected.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 03:15:27 pm by Clark »

jc44

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 03:23:31 pm »
I might have expected exact matches to come before anything else and so be the selected item

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 03:48:21 pm »
The items are sorted and directories are at the top. Not sure if any of that should change without more investigation

jc44

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 03:53:34 pm »
I can see your point