Author Topic: Native MAC support  (Read 6034 times)

John H.

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
  • Systems and kernel programmer
You are correct, dunkers, it is possible to use SlickEdit from within VMWare (or, I assume, parallels).  However, the virtual machines are always slower than the native programs, not to mention you've got to boot up the entire OS within an OS.  It can be done, and I've done it, but I paid extra money in order to get a Mac/Windows SlickEdit bundle for a reason: I'd like a Mac program that can function as a programmer's editor.  It would make me a happier person, I'm certain of it.

dunkers

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 36
OK, thanks. I keep meaning to try and sample a Mac before I die, and SE would be a necessity so although it doesn't affect me now I have passing interest in what might work :)

scobiej

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Ditch Motif, or at least start migrating to Qt using their motif migration tools. Native look and feel on Mac and Linux with native integration, plus the gui code base would be the same for windows. I know this is a big ask, but Motif is just so outdated these days. I know functionality comes first, but motif is just surely a hindrance to proper desktop integration these days?

dgs

• Community Member
Re: Re: Re: What features and/or improvements would you like to see in SlickEdit?
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2010, 09:57:46 PM »
I would love to see native Mac Support.  I would also like to see a way to include books, sftp, ssh terminal like panic coda does.  I do miss Brief mode, as it does not work because of X11 keys.  I just downloaded version 1501 and it won't even run.  Unfortunately I don't own maintenance support, let it slide years ago because of no native mac support.  I will buy again in a heartbeat if that becomes a reality!

dmw

• Hero Points: 15
Re: Re: Re: What features and/or improvements would you like to see in SlickEdit?
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010, 11:32:22 PM »
I do miss Brief mode, as it does not work because of X11 keys.

Brief mode works fine!  I've been using it for years. Just go into X11 Preferences -> input tab and uncheck "Enable key equivalents under X11".

I do agree that native Mac support would be great (I've changed my tune on this over the years).

dgs

• Community Member
Native mac support
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2010, 11:36:30 PM »
Wow, I could get it to run I may buy it anyway.   ;D  I guess I need to find the forum for X11  problems, since I can't get it to start.  Thanks for the feedback, glad to hear there are other brief mode users out there.

jrodriguez

• New Community Member
+1 to native Mac version.

mdturnerinoz

• Junior Community Member
1. Native Mac support; using X as it does now is a real pain!   :(
2. With XML/HTML support, provide "gird" formatted output displaying (instead of just the tagged format) as some of the more fancy XML management tools do (eg even old Codewright has this since 2000 or so).  ;D

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 530
1. Native Mac support; using X as it does now is a real pain!   :(
A beta of the native Mac version that everyone can try should be available the week after Thanksgiving. Also, if you own any Mac version of SlickEdit, you get the new native Mac version (16.1) free.  ;D

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 44
One of my favourite Mac utilities, QuickCursor, only works with text editors that include ODB editor suite support. They seem willing to add SlickEdit support once SlickEdit supports ODB.
ODB Editor support has been added, and will be available in the next release. We *may* have a 16.1.1 service pack release for the Mac in the next month or two. But if not, then this will be in SlickEdit 2012 (v17.0) later this Spring.