Author Topic: Indent option not applied  (Read 5753 times)

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 151
Re: Indent option not applied
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 03:23:41 PM »
Nothing in the install location is changed.  The only settings that can be saved outside of the config directory ("My Config") are per-project settings that are stored in the .vpwhistu files.  (so if you have a project named "bob.vpw", there's a "bob.vpwhistu" in that same directory).

As an example, if you have a project open, and you use Documents -> Tabs to change the tab from the default value, to say, +7, then that change takes effect for just that one file.  This per-file setting is stored in the project's .vpwhistu file.  So if you start another instance of SlickEdit with a clean config, and open up this same project, the tab setting for that file will be "+7".  If you remove the .vpwhistu file when no editor instances are up, that will get rid of the per-file property settings.

Also, as a quick note, the tabs('+3') call you're making in that macro should only set the tab for the current document - I can't tell from the context if that's what you intend or not.

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 210
  • Text
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 06:21:27 PM »
I found a problem here.
Starting with a clean config, Emulation=VC6
Load a *.txt file.

Turn on the tabs ruler in Tools > Options > Appearance > General -> CurrentLineHighlight.
This makes it a lot easier to determine if the tabs are set correctly.

Tools > Options > Languages > All Languages > Formatting
Set tabs not with tabs, SyntaxIndent:3, Tabs +3

#1:
    Document->Tabs: Set to +4
    Tools > Options > Languages > Miscellaneous Languages > Plain Text > Formatting
    Tabs show as +3.
    Pressing OK doesn't change the tabs for the current document.
    If you change the +3 to something else, then OK, the current document is changed.

#2: The ruler is drawn incorrectly
    Tools > Options > Languages > Miscellaneous Languages > Plain Text > Formatting
    Set tabs to "3" (not +3).
    Now the ruler is updated to show stops every 3, but the stops are in fact
    1, 3, 11, 19, 27, etc.

#3: No repro...
    In playing with these options, the last thing I did was set
    Tools > Options > Languages > All Languages > Formatting
    Tabs to +3, +4 or +8 (I don't remember which).
    The tab stops in the open text file got changed to +32 - based on the ruler and behavior.
    I haven't got it to repro though - I crashed slick just after doing this (CAS-69039-GMN9).
    It seemed like the behavior was different depending on if I pressed OK or APPLY.

Set tabs to 4, +4 in Tools > Options > Languages > All Languages > Formatting.
    Set tabs to 5, +5 in Tools > Options > Languages > Miscellaneous Languages > Plain Text > Formatting

Now again set tabs to 7, +7 in Tools > Options > Languages > All Languages > Formatting.
    Although it changes the tabs in the open text file, it doesn't update the settings in Tools > Options > Languages > Miscellaneous Languages > Plain Text > Formatting.

Newly opened text files use the AllLang tabs setting, not the text file setting.

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 151
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 06:48:32 PM »
    It doesn't apply the settings if there are no changes.  If what we want is a way in reset the all open buffer's tab settings to the language setting, it might be better to have an explicit button or menu for that, rather than depending on the options page doing that when you hit OK.

That does seem to be a bug. 

What I see is if I'm doing the steps when hitting Apply, it doesn't update the view of the Plain Text formatting settings, but if I hit OK, and go back into it, it shows the correct setting.  That's a bug.

PurdueEEGrad

• Hero Points: -17
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2016, 01:37:02 AM »
The intent of the tabs('3') macro call - is to set All Languages and everything else to a 3 space tab formatting configuration.
This includes text files - which I use all the time (engineering notes, etc).

Thanks so much for the input on the Appearance Option! I'll check everything posted recently, test it out this weekend, and get back to you.