Author Topic: Stacked references  (Read 3552 times)

DiskJockey

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Stacked references
« on: July 07, 2009, 02:46:09 AM »
I would like to see a "stacked references" feature, as was mentioned in http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=4498.0.  I frequently find myself asking "what are all of the possible paths to subroutine X?"  As suggested somewhere in that thread, I'd like to "generate a tree view starting at the current function and branching out to the left or upward, to include all the possible callers of the current function (and their callers etc. all the way to main() or whatever)."

rowbearto

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 132
Re: Stacked references
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 08:47:25 PM »
In the search tool window, there are multiple tabs, so that when I do a new search, I can still have the results of some of my old searches around.

I'd like the same capability with the "References" tool window - so that each time I do a new reference search, I can go back to more recent ones.

chrisant

• Hero Points: 131
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 11:04:21 PM »
In the search tool window, there are multiple tabs, so that when I do a new search, I can still have the results of some of my old searches around.

I'd like the same capability with the "References" tool window - so that each time I do a new reference search, I can go back to more recent ones.
+1!  :)

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 12:34:11 AM »

If you don't mind doing the search again you can click the dropdown list at the top to see the recent reference searches you did.  You can also do right click -> contents -> copy ; then paste into a text file and you get a bunch of text that you can manipulate.

rowbearto

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 04:37:19 PM »

If you don't mind doing the search again you can click the dropdown list at the top to see the recent reference searches you did.  You can also do right click -> contents -> copy ; then paste into a text file and you get a bunch of text that you can manipulate.

I do mind doing the search again.  because I want to quickly go back to the old search and start clicking on some of the links, but they are gone :(

It seems a shame that I need to rerun the same search and wait for the results when that same search was already done recently.

It would be sweet if I could just click on a tab and have them back quickly :)

Maybe I could even have the memory where I left the cursor in each tab, to put me back in context?

This happens often when looking at all refs of funcA(), but then you see one instance of funcA() calling funcB(), so you want to see where else funcB() is called.  When you are done with funcB() and want to go back to funcA(), it would be useful to see where you left off.

RaffoPazzo

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 01:34:50 PM »

I do mind doing the search again.  because I want to quickly go back to the old search and start clicking on some of the links, but they are gone :(

It seems a shame that I need to rerun the same search and wait for the results when that same search was already done recently.

It would be sweet if I could just click on a tab and have them back quickly :)

Maybe I could even have the memory where I left the cursor in each tab, to put me back in context?

This happens often when looking at all refs of funcA(), but then you see one instance of funcA() calling funcB(), so you want to see where else funcB() is called.  When you are done with funcB() and want to go back to funcA(), it would be useful to see where you left off.

I think that you might do +1 on my proposal just a couple of posts above. It is proposing to organize "References" results in a tree like structure (rather than tabs/drop-lists). In this way we'll also satisfy all the "Callers Tree" requests.

chrisant

• Hero Points: 131
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 05:01:25 AM »
If you don't mind doing the search again you can click the dropdown list at the top to see the recent reference searches you did.  ...

I do mind doing the search again.  because ...

I think that you might do +1 on my proposal just a couple of posts above. It is proposing to organize "References" results in a tree like structure ...

I think tabbed References is related but a little different than tree-oriented traversal.  I want both.  I'll use them in different situations.  Or give me multiple tree-oriented traversals in separate tabs.  :)

rowbearto

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 02:42:33 PM »
If you don't mind doing the search again you can click the dropdown list at the top to see the recent reference searches you did.  ...

I do mind doing the search again.  because ...

I think that you might do +1 on my proposal just a couple of posts above. It is proposing to organize "References" results in a tree like structure ...

I think tabbed References is related but a little different than tree-oriented traversal.  I want both.  I'll use them in different situations.  Or give me multiple tree-oriented traversals in separate tabs.  :)

I would also like both as well. 

+1 from me for RaffoPazzo's proposal.

Dennis

• Hero Points: 515
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 08:10:30 PM »
Just a heads-up.  The stacked references feature is now available in the version 23 (now in beta).

Reference sets are stacked, but not displayed in a tree.  There isn't really a logical tree relationship between references searches, the context you were in when you started a references search may or may not be related to the last referencing symbol you visited.  Displaying the references in a tree would be introducing a level of complexity that would not have a justifiable amount of utility, and in fact, might prove to be of negative utility as the tree gets larger and harder to navigate.

Functionally, what you need to be able to do is to drill down on references, while maintaining the list of references you were working on to pop back to when you are done.  This is what the stacked references provides very well.

rowbearto

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 02:00:52 PM »
Really like it so far! Just fired up the beta for the first time and tried it out very briefly.

Thanks Dennis and SlickTeam!