Author Topic: Source Insight features  (Read 3463 times)

stxl

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Source Insight features
« on: August 10, 2009, 05:31:26 AM »
1. Merge preview window into references window.
2. Enhance references window, same as Source Insight.
3. Set the default behave of all the functions to the common mode (specially for windows version)

brunokc

• Community Member
Re: Source Insight features
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 05:40:03 AM »
Source Insight emulation mode built-in, so Source Insight users like me can initially feel at home and slowly learn how to use SlickEdit from there.

yw_hi

• New Community Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 11:33:10 PM »
Please watch the memory usage of the slickedit. For an editor that uses roughly 200MB memory is not that good. Even though the modern computer has more and more memory, but a good software should always be implemented efficient on usage of memory. For your reference, Source Insight only use 5MB for a project that slickedit uses 180MB.

Thanks

Chris Nisbet

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 07:17:48 AM »
Source insight has a feature that allows the user to restore any modified block of text to the way it was when the file was opened.
To do this in source insight, the user right clicks the edit window just to the left of the modified code and selects restore from the context menu.
I find this very handy as often want to undo some changes that were made some time ago, without undoing any other changes. The regular undo functionality always starts from the most recent change.
I'm very new to SE and haven't yet found a feature like this.

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 347
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 07:31:25 AM »
Source insight has a feature that allows the user to restore any modified block of text to the way it was when the file was opened.
To do this in source insight, the user right clicks the edit window just to the left of the modified code and selects restore from the context menu.
I find this very handy as often want to undo some changes that were made some time ago, without undoing any other changes. The regular undo functionality always starts from the most recent change.
I'm very new to SE and haven't yet found a feature like this.

You can use the backup history toolbar.  In tools -> options -> file options -> backup, set "make backup files" to "create backup history on save".  I have "backup directory path" set to ./SlickBackups  - which means backups get saved to a sub-folder called SlickBackups.  Slick then creates a "delta" backup file - it gets updated every time I save a file.  Open the backup history toolwindow, select the version that has the older code you're interested in, click the "run diff on selected backups" button.  You can then use the diff utility to copy the piece of code you want back to your current file.

Chris Nisbet

• Community Member
Source Insight features
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 07:54:14 AM »
Thanks, I'll check it out. It doesn't seem quite as straight forward as the SI method though. It also requires that the file is saved so that the backup is created. SI doesn't require the file to be saved.

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 347
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 08:08:35 AM »
Thanks, I'll check it out. It doesn't seem quite as straight forward as the SI method though. It also requires that the file is saved so that the backup is created. SI doesn't require the file to be saved.

It doesn't require a file to be saved.  If you open a file you've never edited with slickedit before and make some changes to it without saving, when you open the backup history tool window you'll see one entry that you can diff with your current file.  Backup history is one of slickedit's best features, in my opinion.

Chris Nisbet

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 08:13:59 AM »
Ok, thanks.