Author Topic: Auto-complete type awareness  (Read 2428 times)

jayjones

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Auto-complete type awareness
« on: August 28, 2009, 10:30:11 AM »
Not sure what the technical terminology for this is but...
I use the auto-complete feature a lot (i've got used to it)...
It would be better if SlickEdit had type-awareness when auto-completing assignments, like it does for structure members.

Simplified Example In C:

When I type "this->"
SlickEdit automatically pops up the auto-complete dialog correctly listing only the structure members.

When I type "this->state = "
SlickEdit automatically pops up with a list of all known words, as it does not seem to have "type awareness" of the type of "state", and hence cannot narrow down the auto-complete list at all (or most appropriate first).

The full line would be "this->state = ST_ACTIVE;" - Auto-complete can really speed up typing this - especially when you don't know the correct Enumeration names :)

Langugage specific editors like Visual Studio etc. have this "type awareness" in their auto-completion for each part of the expression.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 03:22:49 PM by jayjones »

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 130
Re: Auto-complete type awareness
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 12:52:48 PM »
SlickEdit does have a feature for type awareness, Auto List Compatible values. It's a setting in the Context Tagging for each language, it should be enabled by default.  There may be cases where it fails to parse the correct assignment type, but it should be working.  At least for the static typed languages we support.  If you have cases where it is not working correctly, please report it (here or through support).  Provide as much information and sample code as possible to reproduce.